Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some Greek yogurt from Trader Joe's after having it mixed with pumpkin butter at their free sample table. I LOVE this stuff! It has a wonderfull texture and seems a bt less tart that regular yogurt to me. Does anyone know what the difference is in the making proccess? I wonder if it would be possible to make it at home or if it's thickened in an artificial way...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think you can strain your yogurt and get the same effect. I think on the Fage yogurt container it even says "strained." It just thickens it up by getting rid of the extra moisture. I have done it before. The result is good, but it doesn't taste the same to me. The texture of greek yogurt is really awesome. I have heard that it doesn't work to strain yogurt that is fat free and/or contains gelatin. HTH

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh that makes sense! Kinda like partially making it into cream cheese but stopping before it gets to that point.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yea... I love the Fage greek yogurt too - so yummy and milder ! A friend told me that they add more cream than regular yogurt, which makes it so much better.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Oh ... I love it too and thought they just quit making it... I didn't know it was a seasonal thing... do you know what is the season ?<br><br>
Thanks !

·
Registered
776 Posts
I don't. I actually emailed to company because the product was still listed on their website, but was not available to buy. They said it was just a seasonal thing, but didn't mention when it would be back in season. I know goat milk gets harder to come by in the winter, but I don't know about sheeps milk. Or even what part of the world they are making this yoghurt in. It's been few months since I contacted them. I should email them again. They got back to me really quickly, which impressed me.

·
Registered
821 Posts
When my MIL was here last week I found out that she is addicted to the stuff. We took a tablespoon as started in my regular yogurt maker then strained it for about 1/2 hour after it was cultured and turned out perfectly.<br><br>
Now she has me addicted. Who knows now that she is home if she'll keep making her own or just buy it though.<br><br>
Deb

1 - 9 of 9 Posts