Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
It's probably just a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. I would use the same breast to feed her a couple times in row, then switch to the other breast and use it a couple times in row, just to make sure she is getting enough hindmilk. I've also heard that you can massage your breasts before feeding, but I don't know if that works. HTH

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
My guy got that the day before teething- and once when I gave him a taste of ripe banana- didn't agree with him.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mhenry
It's probably just a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. I would use the same breast to feed her a couple times in row, then switch to the other breast and use it a couple times in row, just to make sure she is getting enough hindmilk. I've also heard that you can massage your breasts before feeding, but I don't know if that works. HTH
It depends but I might agree with this post. Check out what I pasted below. You could try block nursing if you think that it's an imbalance, but like it says below, it CAN mess with your supply. I do it with great results, but may want to see a LC if you can.

from Kellymom.com

Quote:
Green, frothy stools
This can be a result of a hindmilk/foremilk imbalance. A true imbalance is rare. It is often seen accompanying a forceful letdown. Lactation consultants will help moms find a nursing pattern which works to combat this problem. If letdown it too forceful in the early weeks, the solution can be to allow milk to leak into a cloth diaper during letdown, then latch baby back on. Feeding two to three times off the same side may also show improvement. Caution should be used with same side feeding as it can decrease supply.
Green, mucousy stool
This can be a result of a virus. Often the only sign we see of a virus is in the green stool. This is evidence of malabsorption in the intestines. Watch for how many days and with what consistency it is occurring. With a virus, it will run its course over a few days and begin to improve.
Another cause of malabsorption in the intestines can be teething. The profuse saliva of a teething baby can cause irritation in the intestines interfering with proper absorption. When babies teethe, we can see lots of drooling. Large quantities of saliva is swallowed which can irritate the intestines causing runny, acidic stools. This can also cause a rash in the diaper area.

·
Registered
335 Posts
:

Do a search on this board for "green poop" and you'll get a ton of results. It is totally a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance.

DON'T WORRY!!!

Can I please get a dollar everytime there is a poop question??????

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I wouldn't be so sure. Green FROTHY stools signal foremilk/hindmilk imbalances but most of the time green MUCOUSY stools signal teething or viruses.

My kids got the green mucousy stools when they were sick. Both got the same when dh and I were sick but they didn't show any symptoms of having the bug other than having the green slimy stools.

I will say I'm sure that no time was the mucous ever because of a fore/hind milk imbalance....they both were one-sided nursers and would get all the hindmilk. The one time that ds went for both sides I got the green froth a few hours later!

·
Registered
136 Posts
My 7 weeks olds diapers have gotten better since we started making sure she was getting more hindmilk. They were green, just like described. I nursed through pregnancy and am now nursing my 3 year old and newborn. I have tons of milk, and major letdown, that chockes the baby. Lots of times I let Maggie nurse on the side that my oldest DD, Layla, just finished, to let her get extra hindmilk....I need to check this out some more though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.