Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5 1/2 wk old baby is having a lot of green mucusy poops. I thought it was because of dairy in my diet, and I eliminated it at least a week and a half ago, and things seems to get better. But now it's back, so I'm wondering if it could be something else too (or something else *instead*, if you get my drift). My 1st child had this problem, too, and eliminating dairy did the trick. FWIW, I'm a vegetarian, and eggs and soy are definitely a part of my diet (and I'm kind of assuming they're the next most likely candidates).

Any suggestions? My baby is gaining well, and I don't think it's a foremilk/hindmilk problem (I'm trying to make sure the boob is really empty before he gets a crack at the other side).

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
My ped told me that the green poop is merely waste that wasn't fully digested and that it was nothing to be alarmed with. I don't know about the mucus though.

Sorry I'm not of more help.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Hey KKmama!

Well, my ds2 has the same thing from time to time, but I have an overysupply problem.

I don't really have any ideas, but as long as your ds is growing well and isn't overly fussy/gassy along with the green poop, I wouldn't worry or eliminate anything else from your diet.

lisa

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
My dd2 had the same green mucus poo. I stop taking any dairy. It help but i also stop eating mayonaise, has milk in it and things that has milk ingredients.

Are you checking everything that you are eating to make sure it is dairy free??? Not all milk ingrediant is writen milk. It could be casein etc...

HTH

·
Registered
889 Posts
My DD just got over a green poop spell. I ruled out every possible reason, and she still had it. But then, it just went away. So, who knows?! Sorry I'm not much help, but I just wanted to let you know that sometimes we won't figure out a "reason"!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
It may be an foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. I used to nurse my children on one side for at least two feedings to avoid. Especially with ds when I had alot of extra milk and we were dealing with allergic reflux. Each child reacts differently, but with my childrens food allergies their poops were still yellow, but were mucousy and foul smelling.

·
Registered
764 Posts
we had the same problem. since you say 5.5 weeks, my suspicion is foremilk/hindmilk inbalance which could be temporary due to a growth spurt. try feeding one side only for two meals then switching sides.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
One thing I've noticed -and this is purely my own experience speaking here- is that when it is really hot out, my babies all had green poops. If I would stay in the a/c for a day or two, it would go away. Go outside- it would come back.

I always wondered if it wasn't due to the fact that when it is hotter out, our breasts produce a more watery milk- like foremilk, hence the green poop even when they are completely finishing one breast (or taking one breast for 3 hour intervals as was my case).

Just another thought to throw out there. I wonder- has anyone else ever noticed that as well?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Relax!! Green poop is normal, so is yellow, orange and brown. Your diet can change the color of his poop. Supplements such as alfalfa or seaweed can too. Mucous is for sure normal in this newborn phase as the gut continues to work all the kinks out. If babe is eating well, sleeping well and has plenty of wet and poopy diapers all is likely well. If weight gain is good, all is well. The poop will change day in and day out and may start to stink to high heaven as well
Color is of no importance if weight gain is good. Mucous is not a major factor at this young age. Eating a well balanced diet is much more important than elimination. If you get a chance, grab a copy of the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding so you have a great reference at your fingertips. Contact La Leche League for a copy. I can't say it enough-----RELAX!! Enjoy your baby and don't worry about the small things if it isn't bothering him!! He is a much better indicator of well being than the color/ consistency of his poop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts