Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been lurking around for a while but this is my first post. Anyhoo, I'm wondering about green poop and whether it always indicates a problem. My son is 10 1/2 weeks old and has been producing green stools since around week five. They range from yellow-green to dark green. Some are watery, some seedy, some might be mucousy. Some are foul smelling, some not. I've driven myself (and my husband) crazy trying to solve "the problem" but I've started to wonder if it IS a problem. I've read conflicting things in that regard though most do suggest that consistently green poop isn't good. A bit more information--

My son weighed 8 lbs 2 oz at birth and lost over a pound early on due to jaundice. He's made up for it though. At 9 weeks he was up to 13 lbs. He feeds well and doesn't seem excessively gassy. No eczema or rashy bottom either, though he did have a few red bumps on his chest at one point. We had a very fussy period around week seven or eight but otherwise he's generally an alert happy child. The only other worrisome symptom is congestion. It's not terrible but he does seem to have some issues with a stuffy, itchy nose. I don't know if that's normal baby stuff, if it could be an environmental thing (we have cats) or if it could be a sign of food sensitivity.

I've discussed my concerns with the pediatrician and he's not convinced there's anything wrong and said my son looks great and seems to be thriving. I've tried eliminating all dairy from my diet (I read labels and avoided everything for two weeks.) I've also tried block feeding. Neither had any noticeable effect. Now I'm contemplating a total elimination diet but I'm unsure if I should go to this extreme and possibly make myself miserable if it's not necessary. I do eat a fair amount of soy so I could try eliminating soy before doing the TED. Any suggestions? Similar experiences? Does green poop always mean a problem?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
if the only problem is green poo, then I wouldn't think there is anything wrong. The main thing I've heard associated with green poo is too much foremilk, but that typically also causes lots of painful gas. If your baby is gaining fine and happy, then don't worry about it! My ped said that breastfed poops come in all kinds of colors and to only call if it's purple, and only because he's never seen purple before.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
If green poo is the only "problem" then it isn't usually a problem- but, in the presence of other things (fussiness, slow weight gain, etc) the green poo can help to narrow down the possibilities.

He might be getting too much foremilk at some feedings (thus causing the green poop) but if he's getting plenty of hind milk at other feedings, then it all balances out and it's nothing to worry about.

When they get a little bigger, then their poop can take on the colors of stuff they've eaten- lots of carrots or sweet potatoes can turn things orange, and my DS has gotten green poop from eating lots of spinach- or small amounts of a green or blue crayon. For the record, partially digested green crayon does NOT stain cloth diapers.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My son had consistently green (often like grass) poo from for over a month (2 week to around 7 weeks). Like you, I suspected either the overactive letdown or allergy. I tried measures to deal with the letdown, and they did make it easier for him to nurse but didn't change the color. He also had baby acne that was worse and lasted longer than what I had expected, and he spit up very often.

In my case soy seemed like a probable suspect because I had eaten a lot of soy and products with soy protein during pregnancy and early weeks of nursing. I eliminated it and noticed a difference within 3 days. His rash began clearing and he had normal yellow color and smell to his stools. It didn't help his spitting up much--not eating any milk products but cheese helped with that.

In place of soy, we've added organic meat to our diet (very difficult for me after 12 years as a vegetarian who occasionally ate fish), as well as cooking a lot with other beans.

Best of luck sorting things out!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, ladies!

Cmi, when you eliminated soy did you eliminate all products containing small amounts of soy protein or just major sources like tofu, veggie meats and soy milk? I've been looking at the things in my kitchen and soy is everywhere! Also, have you been able to re-introduce it at all? I think eliminating soy will be a bigger deal for me than dairy was, though I'm certainly willing to try it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.