Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay...right when you think you're a pro!!

My son has neon green poop. I know that it's classic foremilk imbalance. I even know what's causing it. I'm trying to fix it, but it's not working yet.

Here's what's going on:

We were visiting family for several days and he's in such a social stage right now. He's also working hard developmentally (sitting, starting to scoot) So he wasn't nursing well for a few days. He'd latch, suck a few times, take the edge off his hunger, and then want to be put down so he could watch all the excitement around him. I was getting engorged and knew we were starting a downward spiral (I'm very prone to mastitis...although it's been several months since I've had it)

Then, to make matters worse--he must have latched wrong one night in our sleep because now I have a bleb on my right nipple. And my right side is the one that "doesn't work well" and gets mastitis all the time (I've had mastitis four times on that side) So it hurts like he** when he nurses on that side.

So the first time I saw the green poop, I knew immediately what was wrong. I started doing multiple nursings on one side to get the hind milk up. I started taking him into a quiet room. I started pumping off some foremilk. I even gave him a few bottles of expressed milk that I knew had hind milk in it. But again tonight he had green poop. And it's bothering him...he grunts and his face is all red and I hear him poop, kwim? Poor guy.

So two problems really--the green poop and the bleb. This is my first bleb (I think, although I'm wondering if the blebs have preceeded the mastitis before and I've just never noticed them) Man, it hurts. A LOT. Did I say that it hurts??? I've read up on them a bit, I know to do the warm moist heat before nursing. I've been pumping with my manual pump which is gentler on my nipple. I've been encouraging both my nurslings to nurse more often.

Uggh, I'm miserable here!

Oh, yeah, and I start a new job Monday. Good timing, huh? I've been a working mom, so pumping/supply/bottle feeding isn't the issue. It's more than I'm not sure how to schedule pumping yet, and now's NOT the time to miss a session if I've got a bleb and my baby has green poop!!!!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Oh... big hugs to your mama!!! I really do not know much about the green poop. However, I am extremely familiar with Blebs!! I get them all the time! OUCH!!! They sure do hurt like crazy!!! I am so sorry that you are going through that!! The warm heat should help! A warm shower and then breastfeeding used to help me. After having many of them I still can't figure out a way to really get rid of them... I just usually have to wait it out until they heal. I once tried to use a sterile needle.... I do not recommend that!!! Just made everything a lot worse!

I too also am VERY prone to mastitis and clogged ducts.... hmmm.. I do wonder as well if it all could be contected.

I hope this helps some!!! Good luck mama! Also... GOOD LUCK on your new job!!!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Have you tried lecithin? That might help prevent the blebs, plugged ducts & mastitis.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi.../lecithin.html

Also, have you tried breast compression to force the hindmilk out of your ducts?

Quote:
The above information tells us that milk fat may be more effectively increased through 'mechanical' means (i.e. longer & more frequent feeding, massage, breast compression, expressing foremilk before nursing) than by changing mom's diet.
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mi...e-milkfat.html

·
Registered
319 Posts
Oh I sympathise, I'm recovering from a trip to bleb-land now, it still hurts. I think I bruised myself with all my remedies! Hot showers & a little scrubbing with a hot, wet facecloth eventually cleared it for me. I'm also part of the blessed-with-clocked-ducts-tribe so they could be connected!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.