Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Isnt that an awesome title?

But seriously, what wouild bring this on overnight in a 2 week old who had previously had mustard seed yellow? It's been here for 5 days now, and his fussiness has increased and sleeping decreased. His spitting up has increased and i wonder how much he actually keeps in. He will arch his back and scream when he is in a lot of discomfort.

I don't have an overabundant supply or crazy letdown or anything. I tried block feeding anyway, one side each time.

Maybe the prenatal vitamins I recently resumed?

thanks.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I tried block feeding and it didn't work great, so I did the gravity method (you lean Wayyyyyyyy back and have babe on top of you during letdown), or I let down into a cloth so babe would get the fatty hindmilk. I also significantly reduced dairy until 6 months (fortunately I didn't have to read labels, I was just able to not drink milk/eat cheese/ice cream as I had been during pregnancy and directly postpartum), and between the two, things cleared up for us. I'd also mention that just because your letdown doesn't feel forceful to you, doesn't mean it doesn't to them. They're awful teeny...

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
I agree with both FM/HM unbalance AND dairy intolerance. My LO acted the same way until I stopped drinking milk/cheese/ice cream. ( i was fortunate not to have to go overboard) and he got better. He was able to tolerate it by about 2.5 months. I also started block feeding at the same time, so I think between the two things, it really helped.

I read somewwhere once that some newborns have a dairy intolerance, not nec an allergy. Their little bodies cant break down the protein enzymes, resulting in colicky symptoms, lots of spitting/throwing up, and changes in output. these were ALL my sons symptoms, so I started at just cutting out the basics, and it honestly did the trick.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh woe is me, I had to cut out all dairy for my daughter... I so hated it.

Yes, he has a red ring on his bum. Little blisters all over.

I cannot get rid of it.

I will have to try no dairy for a week.

I love the wisdom I find here, even when it's not what I want to hear!

~sigh~

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaCaveBear View Post
Oh woe is me, I had to cut out all dairy for my daughter... I so hated it.

Yes, he has a red ring on his bum. Little blisters all over.

I cannot get rid of it.

I will have to try no dairy for a week.

I love the wisdom I find here, even when it's not what I want to hear!

~sigh~
I think you might want to go dairy free longer than a week as it takes a bit of time to clear your system and then it still must clear his. Good luck!

·
Registered
368 Posts
it could also mean that he is getting too much watery formilk and not enough of the fatty rich hindmilk when he nurses. we had this problem and i believe the lc recommended staying on the same breast for 3 or 4 hours and then switching as opposed to switching each time you nurse. it gives the breast you are nursing off of less time to build up formilk so baby gets to the hind milk quicker. you could also try expressing some before baby latches on. hth!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.