Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone? I've never made anything with green tomatoes before but I've got a ton of them so I thought it was time I tried!

I plan on making some fried ones later (I've friend red tomatoes but never green), but what else can I do with them? I've heard of green tomatoe pie - anyone have a good recipe for that? What about green salsa - can I make that? Would it be good?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Ohhh, I love fried green tomatoes. Just thinking about fried green tomatoes is making my mouth water.

Here's a recipe for my grandmother's green tomato relish. I have modified it a bit since I've been making it, so I listed my mods in parentheses.

10 pounds green tomatoes
3 pounds bell peppers
2 pounds onions
4 cups sugar (2 cups sugar substitute or equivalent, such as Rapadura, xylitol, etc.)
1 quart vinegar (1/2 quart vinegar or less, to taste)
2 tablespoons mustard seed
1 tablespoon celery seed

Wash and dice tomatoes, peppers and onions. Combine in large pot with water to cover and 1/2 cup salt. Simmer 10 minutes. Drain, return to pan, and add remaining ingredients. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, simmer for a further 10 minutes. You can freeze this, can it (hot-water bath method), eat it straight.

My modified version is not quite as sweet as the original, so it's more of a tart relish. But I prefer it that way, actually.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
The original recipe was in Sundays at Moosewood - one of my all time favorite cookbooks -but I've made a couple small changes.

Fried Green Tomatoes

3 or 4 med unripe very green tomatoes
salt and pepper
1/3 c unbleached white flour
2 TBS cornmeal
cayenne pepper -optional
hot sauce (like Tobasco) - optional

Slice the tomatoes into 1/4" slices and disgard the ends. Spread out the slices on a baking sheet or platter and salt and pepper each side liberally.

In a shallow dish, combine the flour and cornmeal. Add a bit of cayenne pepper if you like and mix in well. Drag the tomatoes through the mixture one at a time, making sure to coat each side thoroughly. Shake off any excess flour.

Heat oil in a heavy skillet - cast iron is great! Add tomatoes when the oil is hot but not smoking. Fry them a few at a time and don't crowd the skillet. Fry about 3-4 minutes per side - until golden brown and drain on paper towels.

Serve hot with Tobasco on the side!

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those both sound yummy!

·
Registered
807 Posts
: I just eat them fried.

But the relish does sound interesting. If I get a garden going next year, I'll have to try that.

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
We usually just fry them...DH will eat them straight from the hot pan!

You can also make a green tomato salsa (same as regular salsa, just substitute the greens for the reds).

Or green tomato jelly (though there's ALOT of sugar in it!)

Quote:
5 c Green tomatoes,
Cut into sm. pieces
4 c Sugar
6 oz Pkg. raspberry Jello

Preparation : Boil tomatoes and sugar together for 15 minutes. Remove
from heat. Add Jello and stir well. Put into blender. Blend well.
Pour into jars and seal

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have an awesome green tomato pie recipe from my grandma. I'll try to remember to post it when I get home.

(Who me, posting to Mothering while at work? Nooooooo.)

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Livi's Mama
(Who me, posting to Mothering while at work? Nooooooo.)
Bad employee BAD!

·
Registered
420 Posts
3 1/2 cups thinly sliced or finely chopped green tomato (I run mine thru the food processor)
1/2 c raisins
1 c sugar (or less)
4 heaping tsp flour
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
9" double pie crust

Mix spices and flour with sugar; mix sugar combination with green tomato and raisins. Pace in 9" pie crust; top with pie crust and cut slits in top. Bake at 425º (400º for glass pie pan) for 50 to 60 minutes until juices start to bubble up through slits in crust.

Do watch it closely at the end so it doesn't bubble too much & make a mess of the oven. Or put the pie plate on a cookie sheet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts