Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you guys tried this with your babes? Have you tasted it? I really kinda like the flavor but can't imagine what it must taste like to a EBF baby, really strong don't you think? Occasionally my guy will get just horrific gas and really be uncomfortable so I thought we'd try this, but now I'm not so sure...any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
The stuff in the stores is pretty nasty, usually with alcohol and sugar. We used home made gripe water and it worked beautifully:
1/4 tsp each dill, fennel, anise
1/2 tsp baking soda

Pour 1 cup boiling water over it and steep. It keeps in the fridge for 3 days in a jar. DD always made funny faces when I gave it to her, but the taste seemed to de-rail her from crying and it helped her gas.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
my dd loves gripe water. It doesn't work when she's having a really bad tummy day, but on her moderate reflux days it works like a charm.
the Kolik company (I think they were the original, but I don't know) now has a version that is concentrated so you only give them about a 1/4 of a cc in a dropper--I like this better only because Molly is a puker and sometimes any significant volume comes right back up.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Gripe Water saved my life during my dd's colic. She would really suck it down from the syringe and would get relief from it. The brand I had was Baby's Bliss. In fact, I went to get some more the other week, to see if it would help with her teething woes, but Whole Foods didn't carry it anymore. Darn.

btw...my dd was EBF when she first tried Gripe Water...she still BFs now but has some solids, too

·
Registered
200 Posts
i am also using the baby bliss brand gripe water, and it has helped with my one month old's gas.

i like the baby bliss brand b/c it is alcohol and sugar free. in my research i learned that it is obviously best to stay away from brands that have alcohol or sugar.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Its been a lifesaver for us thus far. I also use the Baby's Bliss brand. DS likes it. Its like he knows its going to make him feel better. I tasted it, and it tastes kind of like black licorice.

Lisser

·
Registered
175 Posts
My EBF dd won't take the Baby Bliss Gripe Water, I suppose doesn't like the strong tate but she really needs it and I think could really benefit from it if she could just keep it down.

Can you mix it into some ebm and put them both in a bottle to give her? She takes ebm from a bottle already on occasions and does well...

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Dang......I was told by ped's office to find some when DS was 3 mos and it turned out he was reacting to dairy. The stores here didn't carry it, but Walgreens said they'd gotten a lot of requests so they were going to look into it. If I'd known how to make it....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts