Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the x-ray thread a few people mentioned trying to find a HFCS free commercial bread.
We buy Natures Own 100% Whole Wheat.
Of course it isn't as healthy as it could be, but I thought I'd mention it because it is readily available at an ordinary supermarket.

Dur! I just realized where I posted this. Feel free to move!

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Okay this is a totally stupid question...but what is HFCS?
:

·
Registered
10,142 Posts
high fructose corn syrup

We buy Barowsky's organic whole wheat bread.

Or Matthew's (not organic, but whole wheat.)

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Oh I see! That goes to show me how much I've been looking at labels lately. I'll be sure to look now. I am about to start a gluten and dairy free diet to see if it helps with some health problems that I have been having to I guess I better start reading those labels!

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by angelpie545
Oh I see! That goes to show me how much I've been looking at labels lately. I'll be sure to look now. I am about to start a gluten and dairy free diet to see if it helps with some health problems that I have been having to I guess I better start reading those labels!

avoid HFCS at all costs. it's VERY unhealthy.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Pepperidge Farm!!! they have an awesome new line...german dark wheat is my fave...its got sunflower seeds or something in it, but the kiddos hate it. they have a whole wheat, and a 7 grain (or is it 9?). i usually get the 7 grain.

here's the thing...they have 2 versions, so make sure you look for the one marked "Natural". it has no HFCS. they use molasses and raisin juice. its under $3, too, which is a huge plus for me!

HTH

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Matthews is a nationally available brand that does not have hfcs. I have been buying that on and off for about 20 years. (It not organic)

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
We're near Richmond. Ukrops grocery stores carry Prairie Grain breads, they're made by a bakery in Midlothian and they have very nice, short, natural ingredient lists.
I've also seen their bread in a local organic market. Not sure if their distribution area stretches out to Ferrum, but the info might be useful to other people in Central VA!

http://www.prairiegrain.com/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts