Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, you people who have dogs with more than an inch of hair!

As I have been blabbing every chance I get, we're getting a Cardigan Corgi sometime soon (waiting for a show puppy, so could be anywhere from a week to a couple of months from now depending on how the breeder grades her litters). Having a show dog with actual grooming needs is new to us, so I need to set up a little library of tools.

I have a list from the breeder, but everyone has their own favorites, and I wondered what those of you who groom or show-groom like. The dog will have a typical Cardigan coat, double-coated and very similar to a Shepherd, longer on the "pants" but the dog shouldn't be fluffy (this breeder occasionally does get fluffies and grooms them down enough to show them, but this particular set of litters should have only short-coated dogs).

I'm heading to a show with vendors (the normal East Coast ones like Cherrybrook et al), so specific brands or styles to look at would be awesome.

Also, do I need a dryer? I mean, I know I don't NEED one, but will I be sorry I don't have one when my dog ends up all frizzy in the show ring?

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Joanna,

I have shown dogs with coat for 15 years.
You will love it, is this your first? Get ready for a FUN ride, but also for politics, big time.

You should probably get a POWER dryer, one that looks like a long vaccuum hose, that can BLOW all of the dead hair out. Not only will your dog look better, but your house will, too! Especially during spring and fall.

I would get a Mars Coat King, I love these for pulling out dead hair.

Slicker brush and a Greyhound comb... let's see.. some GOOD shampoo. I like #1 All Systems, and Nature's Specialties. You probably won't been a conditioner if you use and all in one.

Thinning shears are something you might need, to neaten up the pants and get them looking natural. Regular shears for feet are a must, too, and clippers might be, too. There is actually quite a bit of grooming on a "wash and wear" dog. Which breeder? I actually looked for a Cardi years ago. They are GREAT dogs.

Have fun!

Beth

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Sorry, that was "probably won't NEED a conditioner."

Try Plum Silky from Nature's Specialties. It's an all in one and smells great!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I am not very serious about most of my tools anymore, but I have to say that I still LOVE my K9II dryer. It might actually be a little much for the Cardis, but I think they make a smaller version. Two motors might blow them right off the table!
I know some Pem people who typically had greyhound combs, slickers, a good pair of shears & thinners, and if you plan to chalk, you'll need a boar bristle or other natural bristled brush (maybe two, one to put it on, one to brush it out). I make a mess when chalking, so I no longer bother. A stone stripping block is kind of nice of defining the throat, cheeks, or behind the ears - I think it polishes up the head.
They seem pretty natural, I can't think of what else you might need besides the actual puppy

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's a wide variation in how much grooming (meaning try to improve the look of the dog by grooming; I don't mean basic wash and brush) Cardi people do--I've talked with a ton of breeders and gotten responses anywhere from "I never groom and I think people who do are nasty and dishonest!" to "I thin and rake and clip and chalk and blow and shine and polish and glitter."

I'd like to do something in between--I really have a problem with using grooming to fool the eye into thinking that the dog is better than it is, but I don't mind it if it reveals what the dog already has. So I would have a problem with backcombing a topline dip, but wouldn't mind ironing the fuzzy hair over a correct croup.

Anybody got shears recommendations?

And yes, this is my first coated show dog--not my first coated dog by a long shot, but I've only shown the Danes. The breeder is a very good one--a Mentor and judge education lecturer. I am MANIACAL about good shoulders and movement, and hers is the name that kept coming up when I asked for people who cared about those two things.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
He,he,he... another shoulder freak!

Me, too! I think it's one of the hardest things to get, and something not enough breeders understand.

Joanna, I recommend the 44/20 thinning shears. They are my favorite, and I have tried ALL of the brands. These are easy, cut 'like butta' and do not tire your hands.

I have seen some of the ungroomed Cardis in the ring... I have to say yuck. Of course, I'm obsessive about grooming... it's like they say, dog SHOW.

I checked out your webpage and your dogs are really nice... I have not seen many uncropped Danes, though. How do they do? Danes are one of my faves. I have terriers now, but I love the big guys.

Beth

·
Registered
9,021 Posts
The only comb to use ever (In my humble opinon) is the Original Greyhound comb. It's made in Belgium, can be purchased from Cherrrybrook and will cost you at least $25. This is the only comb I have ever used that really gets out coat. There is a certain taper to the ends of the teeth that no one else has. It's a great tool.

I would be hesitant about the Mars Coat King as it does cut coat. If you really have to thin an area, it will do nicely, it's just a tool that I think you will need some instruction in using. It's not harmless like a slicker or comb.

For slickers, I like one with a curve, not a flat back. Just personal preference.

For scissors, my favorite foot shear is made by Economy Supply and is a 7.5 inch shear. They are made in Germany and are carbon steel - which means they will not stay shiney like stainless. If you oil them, they will be just fine. They come from the factory with a serrated edge which grips the hair nicely. These guys also make a very very fine thinning shear! They have just redisigned their handles to be an ergodynamic design and I bet they are fabulous! I went to Groom Expo (Hershey, PA) last Sept and bought a pair of Geib thinners for $250. While I love them, I would have gotten the Economy Supply 44-20 thinner with ergo handles instead if they had them. I'm going to Hershey again this Sept and I am really looking forward to checking them out.

If you chalk legs and such, Cherrybrook carries a product called Chalk Mate which is great!

Shampoo....my latest favorite is called Buddy Wash and is made by a company called Cloud Star if I recall correctly. It's the ONLY product that I've found that doesn't make one certain standard poodle that I groom itch like crazy.
I also like Nature's Specialities products.

My all time favorite coat conditioner is The Stuff. It puts a shine on a dog like nothing else! It's a silicone product. Don't spill it on the floor or you'll be ice skating!

Gotta run for now. Any more questions?

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Ok, like Karen, the only comb worth buying is the original greyhound, don't even bother with anything else.
I like a shorter foot scissor, I prefer a 5 or 6"--but I know I'm odd that way, I actually don't like working with anything longer than a 7.5, it may have to do with the degree of arthritis in my wrists.
I like a double sided thinning shear if you're new to trimming up double coats--they're idiot proof and will not leave any "cut" lines.
I also really like stripping stones for around the neck and cheeks (and used against the lay of the coat on the fronts of the legs.
I'm a fan of Bio-Groom products and Ring 5 products. Bio Groom Mink Oil is my alltime, must never be without product, great shine and a sunscreen too so especially fabulous on black coats.

Shampoo, honest, honest, I use and have always used (or at least constantly come back to) dish soap diluted 3 parts water to 1 part soap.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mom0810
Try Plum Silky from Nature's Specialties. It's an all in one and smells great!
I'm a professional groomer, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE plum silky!! I use it on short, medium and long coats, undercoat or not...it's awesome. I'm glad someone else knows about it!

Also-lots of time goes into the grooming of every type of dog-even the wash n wear as the pp said. Good Luck showing (what a great breed you picked!)

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ran off without thanking everyone for their suggestions--I am writing it all down.

We're in Plaistow, which is right over the MA line. Portsmouth is definitely a place we go a lot. When I'm at shows, it's generally the Fitchburg, Boston, and Springfield sites; I try not to go more than three hours away since I have little kids and a husband at home. I dream of the days when the kids are grown and we can take the weekend and just go, but right now it's not possible.

I'll be picking up supplies over the next few months (gotta-ahem-break my husband in slowly to the idea of showing a coated dog) so these suggestions are absolutely fab. Thanks again and I'll definitely have more to come.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.