Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(OK first of all - yes, the antibiotics are necessary - believe me, I would not be on them otherwise! I got an infection on my finger and quickly developed red streaks up my finger and going up my arm... not really something I wanted to wait and see if anything else would work, lol)<br><br>
I'm on Cloxacillin, 4 times a day, for a week. This is day 3. I have a GROSS taste in my mouth almost all the time now, except when I am actually eating. The antibiotic has to be taken on an empty stomach - 2 hours after food and 1 hour before food - so there's always a 3-hour window where I can't eat anything. In other words, eating all the time to avoid the gross taste isn't an option.<br><br>
Is there anything I can do to get rid of this problem?

·
Registered
704 Posts
I had this happen with an abx once too, horrible! Mine didn't have a take on an empty stomach rule, so I was able to snack and keep the icky taste at bay to some degree.<br><br>
would hard candy count as food? Wouldn't be great for your teeth, but maybe better than the taste. Or some gum. I assume you've tried brushing your teeth...<br><br>
I don't know other than that. Hope it goes away as soon as you get to go off the abx. hang in there!

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
Sadly I don't think there is much that can be done about it. You can try hard candies to cover it. But when I have had the same problem, no amount of brushing or mouthwash has ever covered it long term.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks mamas. At least it sounds like it's relatively "normal". I did think of trying some strong mints or something like that late this afternoon, but I don't have any at home and was too lazy to take the kids to the store at that point. I'll get some tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Ugh. I had that happen years ago when I was taking Biaxin. I've read that drinking orange juice can help. I'd probably just chew gum constantly, though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts