Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently a groundhog has decided to take up residence under our back porch.<br><br>
It has been very busy running around taking things under to prepare for hibernation.<br><br>
I keep wondering if we are making a mistake in not preventing it from making itself comfortable there. I worry for it's safety, as we may not live here in the next year or so, what if it sticks around and the next people try to eradicate it? I worry for our sanity - what if it is a she and has babies during the winter?<br><br>
Anyone have experience to share?

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I love groundhogs! We have a cute, fat groundhog living in a hole in our back yard! Live and let live. Our neighbors told us the previous tenants tried to get rid of it by filling in the hole with dirt and rocks, and the groundhog just kept digging it out again! Cute little bugger!

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are pretty cute, I will give them that.<br><br>
I found a web site that included some tips on acceptable foods to leave out for them. He/She loved our organic watermelon that we grew this summer. We have learned a lot about groundhogs, we read that they build different homes for summer and winter, they have 3-4 babies at a time...our family is taking this as a learning experience. Our dog, however, just wants to know what the heck that thing is!<br><br>
I am going to take your advice, and not worry.

·
Registered
24,818 Posts
WEll, you know that ground hog will be there until February 2, 2006.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts