Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Does anyone know what they give to women who are group b strep positive and have an allergy to penicillin?  I'm allergic to penicillin  and wondering if it's even worth it to get antibiotics if strep b positive with a penicillin allergy.  I know penicillin is the drug of choice to treat strep b, but I don't want to take some other drug if its not even effective.  Plus I'm nervous about the possibility of being allergic to whatever they do end up giving me.  (I just recently developed an allergy to ibuprofen, so I'm always nervous about taking drugs.)</p>

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
<p>I too am allergic to penicillin and was GBS+ in my 2nd pregnancy. I was given clindamycin (sp?) during labor and ended up with anaphylaxis.  With my third, I was GBS-, but we did discuss it.  The sample would have been checked for resistance to see which drugs it would respond to and then see if I could take any of them.  Had it come down to it, I may have asked about the Hibicleanse protocol since I'm also allergic to sulfa and had no previous allergies to the -mycins having taken them in the past.  </p>

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
<p>I was GBS+ with my first and received clindamycin during labor without any complication. I am hoping I will test negative this time around. If positive, I am kicking around the idea of getting antibiotics only if I have another risk factor....</p>

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
<p>when they do your strep test, specify that you want it tested for resistance, so they can tell which antibiotic would be best to give you if it's positive. if you don't do that they usually end up giving you one of the really strong ones.</p>

·
Registered
190 Posts
<p>I am also allergic to penicillin, sulfa, clindamycin, and levaquin which they usually treat gbs+ with.  With my daughter I was given flagyl because I went into preterm labor.  This time I am going to be desensitized to penicillin prior to delivery.</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts