Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my test for GBS in a week and a half. I have no idea how it might come back.

I'd really, really like to test negative.... otherwise I have to come into L&D earlier, get an IV, and there's a hospital policy question about the waterbirth.

I read that sometimes probiotics can treat GBS. I'm more than willing to try a lot of them prior to the test and prior to the baby's birth if they might help.

Does anyone have details/experience?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey

I tested positive but decided against the antibiotics at week 26. My sister is a Doctor and she provided me with links to show that antibiotics have not been proven sucessful.

My midwife visted last week and asked me if I would like to be re-tested I'm now 36 weeks. I have told her no as I wont be taking the drip antibiotics anyway.

I take probiotics and drink alot of water, also vitamin c. You can also try cloves of garlic aswell xxx

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
DDC,

I just bought probiotics today in hopes of getting a negative result in 5wks. GBS positive would mean going to the hospital fto have ABX before my homebirth. Blah.

·
Registered
469 Posts
My midwife had me douche with a goldenseal douche 1xday for 7 days leading up to my 36 week apt when I got the test.

The douche recipe was: add 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1 capsule (or 1/2 teaspoon of powder) of goldenseal to 1 cup of warm water. Stir, let settle then strain through a coffee filter. douche. Discontinue if uterine contractions occur because of it.

He said since having people do this his rates of GBS have gone down. I haven't gotten my test back yet.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Don't know if it actually works, but I've been using coconut oil up there. I use it for perineal massage anyway, so I figured...

I was GBS+ last time, and I would have refused the abx if I'd gone into labor normally, but since my water broke with no sign of contrax 12 hours later, I decided on abx and pit. This time around I'm hoping to test neg, but barring that, I'll still refuse abx unless water breaks early again.

I'm not sold on abx for GBS+ in a normal labor/delivery situation.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I have a script for Clindamycin vaginal cream for bv, wonder if that will take care of any B strep? I've also been on a very low dose of amoxicillin for an eye infection. I'm hoping to test negative because I do not want an IV. Due to health complications I have to birth in the hospital after two previous drug-free births with a midwife so this is a big issue for me.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
My MW has had me on a tea tree oil sitz bath for the past 3 weeks. I test tomorrow, so I'll let you know if it works or not. She swears by it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.