Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DD has been complaining of pain in her knees - waking her up early in the morning. She's 3.75. Is this likely 'growing pains'? If so are there minerals or supplements that could help? I was thinking of cal/mag, but there may be something else. She takes a daily multivite/multimineral but it's pretty much at the RDA, nothing extra.

·
Registered
9,053 Posts
It's usually magnesium. We have a huge amount of calcium in our modern diets and hardly any magnesium.<br><br>
Also vitamin D levels can be a factor esp. considering this time of year and where you live. We need a whole lot more than the RDA: <a href="http://www.vitamindcouncil.org" target="_blank">www.vitamindcouncil.org</a>

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
lyme?<br>
food intolerances? (my DS was diagnosed with growing pains, yet when he stopped having any dairy, they went away, and he gets them back whenever we've "trialed" it)<br>
Mg defiency?<br>
Juvenile RA? (any swelling?)

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I doubt lyme, she's had no known tick bites and ticks are hard to encounter here.<br><br>
Magnesium deficiency...def. a possibility.<br>
Vit. D deficiency...also possible, although she does have great sun exposure and I have recently started giving her D drops.<br><br>
I don't see any swelling. I need to look again though. She definitely has food intolerances. Hmm. It could be that too, thinking about her diet right now.<br><br>
I think I"m going to give her a cal/mag supplement and increase her D and see if that helps over a short period of time. She's definitely growing.<br><br>
Ugh, I remember having the WORST 'growing pains' in my legs as a kid. My diet was not good though. DH and I both feel so bad for her and want to prevent that for her if we can.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts