Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any Mom's of toddlers have this problem? My ds had ben waking up 1 -2 Am every night for weeks, unable to get back to sleep even with my help, for hours. He seemed so uncomfortable and in pain, moaning and crying out. I thought it was gas, but it wasn't. While surfing the internet in frustration, exhausted form sleep deprivation, I ended up on Dr. Greenes website. There I read about a mother who's daughter had the same prolems as my ds - and it was growing pains! It clicked - the only times my ds would seem comforted was when I massaged his legs. Now I stretch and massage his legs after a warm bath, and rub them with witch hazel (found that on Mothering.com). It works! He is so much better at night. Still wakes up 3-5 times a night
: but at least I can get him back to sleep in a few minutes instead of being up for hours....
:

Anyone esle have this problem? How have you handled it and what has worked for you?

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
My DD has had horrible growing pains since she was two. She still gets them now but not as often. For her we tried massage, warm baths, wrapping her legs, extra bananas, etc. . .Sometimes these worked for us, but .sometimes we did have to resort to Tylenol (I know it is evil, but she was in so much pain we had to try something). I am happy to hear about the witch hazel we will have to try that as well next time it happens. I read someplace that Quinine also helps, but we haven't tried that yet either.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately he was pretty bad last night. Not the worst, but not as good as the night before. I think I did not stretch and massage his legs enough beofre bed. I also read about the quinine, but they said the cliams for it were not vey reliable. I have put the heating pad on his legs after he falls asleep - on low. I found that helped last night.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
look into some of the homepathic remedies. they have one for growing pains. my oldest was grinding his teeth and i gave him belladonna one night and he hasnt grinded (ground) them for a while now.

good luck!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I made a rice/herb pillow for my ds that seemed to help. It's just uncooked rice, lavendar oil, dried lavendar and dried chamomile in a ziploc bag. I just heat it in the microwave for about 30 seconds then put it in a cloth and put it on his leg or wherever else hurts. It also works for my dd when she just needs to relax to fall asleep. Me, too, actually.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.