Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay - so I am pretty sure that my daughter is hitting her 5-6 week growth spurt (she is 5.5 weeks) and I have some questions about supply. I didn't even notice when her 3 week growth spurt happened, so now that I am noticing changes in her eating habits, I have a few concerns.

Little background: on the advice of a LC we have been using a nipple shield, and haven't been able to wear her off of it, mainly because my nipples, even at this point and with pumping ect, are not coming out enough for her to have anything to latch onto. So we are continuing to use it for now. I have overactive letdown, and we are block nursing due to foremilk/hindmilk imbalance.

It feels like she is just not getting enough. Usually we don't have an issue with her just eating off of one side, we did that from the beginning for foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. But now, it seems like she is frantic at every feeding and they are on the hour. It almost feels like there just isn't enough. I know the whole point of a growth spurt is for her to help me increase milk supply to what she needs, but I just can't tell if she is actually getting the same amount that she was getting last week, cause it feels like less. Is there any surefire way to know if I am losing supply without waiting for a weigh-in? I expect her weight to start slowing anyways, or at least I wouldn't be surprised, because over the first 4 weeks she gained 4 pounds, and I was expecting her to slow down a bit. Anyways, I am probably being worried over nothing, but I just wanted to see what everyone else here, ya know people who have done this before, what y'all thought. TIA for any help you can offer or advice you might have.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Sometimes when they are nursing constantly because of a spurt, your milk supply increases and it feels like you have less milk because all of a sudden it regulates itself to the amount she is nursing. But in fact she's getting lots.

If you feel like she has drained the one side, I think you could give her the other side if she still seems hungry...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.