Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep. My SIL is having her daughter's communion on Sunday and I JUST FOUND OUT that it's like a super fancy affair. Ugh. Luckily I still have the dress I wore last year (at 8 months preggo) for a wedding, but it's with the same side of the family so I feel kinda funny wearing it again. AND I was hoping to wear it for my son's 1st birthday/baby naming ceremony in June. Oh well. Now I have to dig up the extra cash for some sort of undergarments because I know my boobs won't fit in the bra I wore last year. Not to mention I have a bit of, um, extra pudge in the belly area that isn't too attractive so I have to find something like spanx for fat maternity girls. I started this pregnancy not having lost the extra weight from my last one, only about 20 lbs over weight, but given that I'm only 5'0" it seems like more. The c-section scar left one of those real cute little "aprons" so it's not like I can go without, even though the dress, thankfully, is not super clingy.

Just wanted to vent my frustration. Don't people know I'm pregnant and don't want to deal with fancy affairs? Really - how selfish of them! Lol

M

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I have a semi-formal function to go to tomorrow night, but I've known about it for weeks. I went to Kohls (GREAT deals!) and bought two outfits, I"ll probably decide as I'm getting dressed which one to wear!

I bought a dress, in a size bigger than I usually buy (I got it size 8, I usually wear 6) that is empire waist. Empire waist is back in style, and is GREAT for us pregnant girls!!! I'm showing a *lot*, but it's all belly, in fact today I'm wearing size 6 pre-preg dress pants with a bellyband holding them up, so the only place I'm carrying weight is my belly! (so far at least!)

I also bought a plain black skirt, size medium, and wear it under my belly. Then I bought a nice blouse, again empire waist, and a bit longer length. And I think I got the blouse in size large, which I would never wear pre-preg.

So neither are maternity, but they work, and they look good!!!

You never know...try going to a store like Kohl's or JCPenney and don't limit yourself to the maternity section! If you need something really fancy, check out the prom dress area, and look for empire waist. Seriously, it might work!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a good idea. I was in line at Kohls the other day with a few fancier maternity blouses to wear with black capri's when I found out that this event is a little more upscale than I'd thought. So I got frustrated and just left without really checking any thing else out. The problem with non-maternity dresses is that the front is usually shorter than the back (when you wear it with a bigger belly) so I'm not sure if it would work but I'm planning on going up to Marshalls' or TJ's on Saturday to check out what they have. That way dh can watch ds and I don't have to worry about entertaining him while I'm trying on clothes!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I don't think the length difference would be that noticeable, though. Most people are going to be focussing on your belly, not your hem line! If you think it is really noticeable, you can always quickly shorten the back a bit to even it up. Just take up the hem however much you need to.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I can totally relate! I have a very difficult time finding clothes that look flattering on a short person (I am 4'11"). Now finding clothes that look flattering on a short pregnant person is driving me nuts! Everything I try on just makes me look short and fat! I feel like a blueberry. Plus you can even wear heals to even it all out (cause my feet are killing me!). However, like you I need to do some shopping for some occasions coming up. Blurg.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Oooh! I found the CUTEST maternity dress at Old Navy for Easter!!!! It's just a criss-cross neck and empire waist with a tie on the front. It's modal, and short sleeved. Really basic, but I figure I could wear it with flats to be fancier, or with leggings and flip flops to bring it down a notch. Plus, it was already marked down. If you have an ON with a maternity, check it out! (or if you have enough time, check it out online...it's really WAY cuter in person than online!)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, I will most likely end up in the same dress. Just didn't WANNA. lol

And yeah, of course my old navy does NOT have a maternity section; niether does the H&M near me, and JCP and Kohls' sections are laughable. I'll have to make a pilgrimage to the larger mall one of these days to stock up on some clothes. Last time I was pregnant I was due in May so I don't have all that much in the way of summer stuff.

Blueberry! Hahahaha...I know how you feel! I've always thought I look like a little stumpy ice cream cone.

-----(_)
----(__)
---(____)
----\__/
-----V

LOL...you get the point

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockdoctor View Post
I can totally relate! I have a very difficult time finding clothes that look flattering on a short person (I am 4'11"). Now finding clothes that look flattering on a short pregnant person is driving me nuts! Everything I try on just makes me look short and fat! I feel like a blueberry. Plus you can even wear heals to even it all out (cause my feet are killing me!). However, like you I need to do some shopping for some occasions coming up. Blurg.

Oh, I am 5 foot and half an inch (yes, that 0.5 inch is very important), and I can definitely relate to that. Plus my boobs are getting huge, so they stick out almost as much as my belly. Not cute at all.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I would just wear the dress you already have. I have exactly ONE fancy pregnancy outfit, I bought it when I was pregnant with my first and it has been hanging out in the back of my closet since then. I refuse to buy more!

I'd probably re-wear the dress. Add new shoes and accessories and I bet nobody is going to notice at all, they'll be too focused on your baby belly to care. Besides, anybody who noticed and dared to say anything, you could easily shut down with a simple "do you have any idea how hard it is to find decent dressy maternity clothes?" Because they probably don't have any idea, and will feel embarassed.

I have one of those little pudgy "aprons" too, thanks to seriously stretched out skin and never getting rid of all my baby weight. I've discovered that bella bands help a lot and they're not that expensive. If you buy one that is slightly snug (I had to pick between size 2 or size 3 and I picked size 2) it really helps smooth everything out. Plus it's some extra support for the belly.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Yep, wear what you have. I wouldn't spend the $$ on something new if you're not going to have to wear it again. OTOH, if you want something new, I saw some super cute stuff at Kohls this week, too. Not maternity, but the empire style tops that 2boyzmama was talking about- pair that with a long flowy skirt w/elastic waist and you're good to go!

DH told me we might have a work function to attend later this summer- told him that he might be going stag if it's over 100 degrees and I have nothing to wear

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.