Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both my DD and DS are sick
They have been vomitting and DS has diahorea(sp?) too.

DD is doing ok but DS is struggling a bit. On friday night he seemed very dry and listless so I took him to the ER. DD had rotavirus earlier this year and was hospitalised needing IV fluids so we are extra cautious about dehydration.

Well in the ER they had a Ped come to see DS. She asked me what he had eaten today. Conversation went like this:

Doc: Has he eaten anything different today?
Me: No, he is ebf.
Doc: No solids at all!
Me: Not yet. He is only 6mo and is not ready yet.
Doc: You are supposed to start solids at 4 mo.
Me: Thats not what the NHS recommends.
Doc: Well then between 4 and 6mo. Your breastmilk is not enough for him now.
Me: I think we disagree on this one. He looks fine to me. (He weighs 21lb)

Then she went on to ask me if I ever expressed b/c it would be easier to see what he was getting.

Then she asked about DD who was at home with DH.

Doc: So, how long did you breastfeed your DD for?
Me: (Gulp!) I am still nursing her.
Doc: What! She's nearly 3!
Me: Yes
Doc: Well I think you should stop!
Me: Why?
Doc: Because she is 3 and she doesnt need it anymore. You should save it for your DS who really needs it!
Me: Theres plenty for both of them and I dont think he is suffering from a lack of milk.

Grrrrrr!!!!!!!!! It was 4am, I was very worried about DS and all she went on about was weaning! It was totally inappropriate and unneccessary.

She then said that DS was a little dehydrated but not enough to be admitted. Phew! I am still worried about him as he keeps vomiting and diahorea.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I'm so sorry! So many people in health care are pitifully ignorant about BF.

I had a very similar experience with DS #1 years ago. The ER doc was so busy asking about BF he forgot to prescribe something for the vomiting, and DS ended up becoming dehydrated & having to be admitted. Once in the hospital, I was given a very hard time about nursing, because he was supposed to be on a 'dairy free' diet, and breast milk counted as 'dairy'. I insisted on continuing to nurse, but got a lot of flack over it.
I was advised that next time, I should buy Gravol suppositories & use them at home before the vomiting went on too long, and I pass that suggestion on.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamabadger
IOnce in the hospital, I was given a very hard time about nursing, because he was supposed to be on a 'dairy free' diet, and breast milk counted as 'dairy'.
You have GOT to be kidding me!!!!!! That is THE STUPIDEST thing I have heard in a REALLY long time!

To the OP: I'm so sorry that happend to you! How rude and inapropreate of that dumb (er... well at least very missinformed) doctor! I hope your DS (and DD) get all better very soon!
And when they do, I'd sugest writing an letter to that ER... they should at least know that one of their doctors is giving out really bad advice, (and not listening to patients).

~Kelsie

·
Registered
687 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamabadger
Once in the hospital, I was given a very hard time about nursing, because he was supposed to be on a 'dairy free' diet, and breast milk counted as 'dairy'.

To the OP, I suggest you write a letter. You might want to emphasize not only the errors in what was specifically said, but just the fact that time was wasted needling you for your general parenting choices in an emergency situation.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I absolutely agree about writing a letter. There is no way the doctor should have been offering "advice" about something completely unrelated to the issue at hand, while ignoring the actual one!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know how you feel. I haven't read all the other postings yet and I am sure you have gotten some very good information from them. So I will just give you my experience.
Some doctors and nurses need more education about nursing!
:
I had to go to the ER for my son who was 3 1/2 at the time. We are also military. I knew he would be fine but my husband was a bit paranoid. So first I called telenurse, who told me to stop breastfeeding him and start feeding him Gatorade. Which I got quite a laugh about. I even told her that she was wrong. She said, I am just telling you what it says on my screen to do. I have no information about a child breastfeeding at that age. So I laughed some more and told her, maybe she should actually get her facts right because breastmilk is a million times better for a sick baby than gatorade. After some more discussion, I just said, "Ok, sure! Gatorade it is. Thank you. Bye." Then my son vomited again right on my husband. My husband says, "I don't care what you say, I am taking him in." We go and end up sitting in the waiting room for 3 hours, right next to a woman with strep throat. (which my husband ended up getting)
:
Then when we finally got to see the doc, my son already was showing signs of getting better. He had breastfed after we got put in a room and hadn't thrown it up yet. The female doctor didn't say I should stop breastfeeding, I think she knew what I would say. But she kept saying it was weird! Not just once or twice even. She kept mentioning how weird it was. Like she was trying to make me feel uncomfortable about it. Well, she suceeded but not in the way she seemed to want. Then they tried to shove some stuff up my sons butt to get him to retain fluid more. At that point, I just said, give it to me. I will take it home and do it in a nice less tramatic way. Knowing I had no intention of actually using it. I just didn't want to deal with them anymore. He was only slightly dehydrated and had only been sick for less than 2 days. Vomiting less than that. So the entire experience was a waste of time. Which my husband even conceded to after the fact. He just worries. And I am not anti doctor, I am just anti these military doctors because they always say stupid things, prescribe tons of antibiotics for no reason and send you home with no more information than when you came there with. Heck, I have found myself knowing more than they did on some occasions. They have even prescribed the wrong stuff. It's just been a mess.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know how you feel. I haven't read all the other postings yet and I am sure you have gotten some very good information from them. So I will just give you my experience.
Some doctors and nurses need more education about nursing!
:
I had to go to the ER for my son who was 3 1/2 at the time. We are also military. I knew he would be fine but my husband was a bit paranoid. So first I called telenurse, who told me to stop breastfeeding him and start feeding him Gatorade. Which I got quite a laugh about. I even told her that she was wrong. She said, I am just telling you what it says on my screen to do. I have no information about a child breastfeeding at that age. So I laughed some more and told her, maybe she should actually get her facts right because breastmilk is a million times better for a sick baby than gatorade. After some more discussion, I just said, "Ok, sure! Gatorade it is. Thank you. Bye." Then my son vomited again right on my husband. My husband says, "I don't care what you say, I am taking him in." We go and end up sitting in the waiting room for 3 hours, right next to a woman with strep throat. (which my husband ended up getting)
:
Then when we finally got to see the doc, my son already was showing signs of getting better. He had breastfed after we got put in a room and hadn't thrown it up yet. The female doctor didn't say I should stop breastfeeding, I think she knew what I would say. But she kept saying it was weird! Not just once or twice even. She kept mentioning how weird it was. Like she was trying to make me feel uncomfortable about it. Well, she suceeded but not in the way she seemed to want. Then they tried to shove some stuff up my sons butt to get him to retain fluid more. At that point, I just said, give it to me. I will take it home and do it in a nice less tramatic way. Knowing I had no intention of actually using it. I just didn't want to deal with them anymore. He was only slightly dehydrated and had only been sick for less than 2 days. Vomiting less than that. So the entire experience was a waste of time. Which my husband even conceded to after the fact. He just worries. And I am not anti doctor, I am just anti these military doctors because they always say stupid things, prescribe tons of antibiotics for no reason and send you home with no more information than when you came there with. Heck, I have found myself knowing more than they did on some occasions. They have even prescribed the wrong stuff. It's just been a mess.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
You need to write a letter to the hospital and to your local breastfeeding coalition if you have one. Someone needs to get this doctor some information.

I was pretty ticked because my son had the flu twice this year. First the rotavirus in early spring and then a different flu about a month ago. He couldn't keep anything down at all and wasn't making any wet diapers. My regular doc was out of town and his partner, whom I have never met in person, told me I should stop trying to bf- even if he wanted to. It totally felt like the wrong thing to do, but he was throwing up everything, so I stopped. It was so miserable, even though he was throwing it all up, at least he had some comfort in between. We ended up in the ER and that doc told us the do not breastfeed advice is outdated and based on formula fed infants. He said breasteeding was one of the best ways to keep DS healthy, recover faster, and rehydrate him. I could have kissed that guy! So a little anti-nauseau medication, some plain gatorade and a four hour non stop nursing session later- DS had perked right back up, wet a diaper, and we were sent home.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I am so sorry to hear of your experience. I am a military wife too. We have had some similar bad ER experiences and it is so frustrating. Hugs to you, mama.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
So frustrating! I consistently get poor BF advice from our ped. I just ignore them now. Dd had a little stomach bug for 48 hours several months ago and would vomit after nursing, but significantly less came up then went down. They told me to stop nursing her and give her pedialyte. Uck! We got some, but instead I told her to try to take "little sips" of my milk (she was almost 2 and sort of understood). She recovered so quickly.
Now, it's a running joke here becuase if she really wnants to nurse and it's a really inconvient time, she'll get on a totally cute face and say, "mommie, me-me, 'lil sip pleese?". It's always a winner here.

·
Registered
779 Posts
:
:
:
:puke
for you mama!

Whoever said eight years of med school made someone smart OBVIOUSLY wasn't a nursing mama!
Just another reason why I don't take DS to the DR unless he is bleeding from more than one hole! Hugs to you mama and good on ya for sticking to your guns! If it wasn't such a nasty place to hang out I would say stage a nurse in for nursing toddlers!
That would make there heads really spin!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts