Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a yeast infection that I need to get under control. I have used grapefruit seed extract in the past with great success but never while nursing.
I heard somewhere that it can make the milk bitter, anyone know about this?

thanks

·
Registered
872 Posts
I've used GSE internally to get rid of yeast while nursing. I started with just one or two drops of the liquid extract per day for a couple of days, then gradually worked up by one or two drops more each couple of days until I got to maybe around ten drops (perhaps a couple more than that, but definitely less than fifteen drops per day). The whole process took maybe two or three weeks. I mixed the GSE in a little glass of orange juice. It got rid of the yeast, and my then-nursling, who was not quite two years old at the time, never skipped a beat and nursed great the whole time. I have never heard about it making breastmilk bitter when taken internally! I know the extract itself is very bitter, I wouldn't think that the small amounts that a person would probably be taking would show up in breastmilk to such a degree that it would become bitter.

(Before taking it internally, I had also tried using it topically (diluted in water, of course) on my nipples. Now that probably tasted bitter! I found that using it internally was more effective, but for a really mild case a topical application might be sufficient.)

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
753 Posts
I used it for thrush when my ds was 4 months old, i put 10 drops in 1 ounce of distilled water, I put that on my nipples and in his mouth (with a cotton ball or qtip) and he never minded the taste he LIKES IT!
and if i leave it out he will try to drink it.. crazzzzy kiddo

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducky5306 View Post
I used it for thrush when my ds was 4 months old, i put 10 drops in 1 ounce of distilled water, I put that on my nipples and in his mouth (with a cotton ball or qtip) and he never minded the taste he LIKES IT!
and if i leave it out he will try to drink it.. crazzzzy kiddo

I did use it topically on my nipples with thrush, but I did it in the shower right after a feed and the taste was gone before he nursed.
I did have some this morning, hopefully he won't notice

thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.