Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A very rare box turtle.

It is a baby and it is injured so I kept it quiet and still last night. But it is moving around today and I am going to take it to be examined by someone "in-the-know" about this type of thing.

Will give an update later. I hope I am not on the news or something because I just did some research and people that have found this type of turtle were in the news.

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
how's the turtle? i didn't know there were rare box turtles. i found a regular old one i guess a few years ago in our fenced in back yard with my dog chewing on its shell. he just nibbled around the edges like chewing on your fingernails so i think i got it in time. i just put it on the other side of the fence where puppy couldn't get it and let it go.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The poor thing is very injured but still alive. What makes this one rare is that it appears to have a 2nd head! It isn't a functioning 2nd head though so maybe it is just some kind of growth or something. I contacted someone about it and told him how I was caring for it and he told me that is really all I could do. Apparantly the 2nd head thing isn't as rare as I thought. It isn't eating, but sometimes box turtles do that. I was going to just let it go, but fire ants would probably devour it since it has open wounds. So I am just going to keep it in a quiet area, with some grass and food and water. Today the wounds look better.
Once it is better, I will release it in this area at a state park where I release box turtles that I find.

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
cool! hope it gets better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.