Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been no-poo for about 3 months now. On the whole, I really like how my hair looks and feels. But, I've noticed this gummy feeling on my hair, and I can see it building up on my hairbrush (plastic ball-tipped bristles). It's not visible just by looking at my hair, yet I can feel it and it grosses me out!

What is this gunk? I assume it's baking soda build-up, but I feel like I spend more time "washing" my hair now than I ever did using shampoo.

My normal routine is to put 1 Tbsp BS in 1 cup water, pour over head and scrub scalp. Rinse with warm water. I do this about every 4 days and in between I just wash with water. When my ends start feeling dry and crunchy, I dilute 1 Tbsp ACV in 1 cup water and dunk my ends in. Rinse as usual.

Am I doing anything wrong? Should I use less BS? ACV more frequently and over my whole head? Other ideas?

Thanks,
Lana

·
Registered
200 Posts
It is probably sebum building up.
This is the way it is supposed to be- if it is too yucky, try using a bit more baking soda or a very diluted rinse with real shampoo.
That will get rid of the build up effectively.

·
Registered
656 Posts
This happens to me, too, about every three or four months, or so. The only thing I've found that helps is to "strip" my hair three or four times a year with an sls-free natural shampoo. That gets all the gunk out, and then it's back to the baking soda and vinegar.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Heh, I learn so much from this MHM forum!!

I've noticed the funky stuff on my brush (boar bristle) and wondered what it was! Wild. I switched recently to an SLS-free bar soap (on a whim, initially) to wash my hair and it's actually doing a great job. I wash less now with the bar soap than I did with BS.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I tried dilute dr B's on my hair once and it was AWFUL.....totally stripped it dry and made it a frizzy mess...I had to go back to using conditioner.....I do not recommend this !

Quote:

Originally Posted by lanabug View Post
OK, guess I'll find a good SLS-free shampoo to use occasionally. Any recommendations? Would Dr. Bronner's work?

Lana

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I use the acid rinse frequently as well (pour it on my head not just the ends). I am using shampoo bars instead of BS so I am not sure if it counts but the ACV or Lemon Juice rinses really helped me.
If you feel like you need something in between your BS only routine you could always use shampoo bars.
Or you could make your own shampoo.
Here are a few variations on the ACV rinse if you are getting tired of the pickle scent
:

Quote:
If this is your first experience with shampoo bars please know that there might be an adjustment period. The most effective way to condition your hair after you rinse out the shampoo soap is to do a simple Apple Cider Vinegar (or lemon juice) rinse ( 1 cup water+ 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar) - more for longer hair. It makes a huge difference. Try it!

Or try a beer rinse (1 oz water, 1 oz stale beer, 2 tsp vinegar, 7 drop lemon EO, 5 drops rosemary EO)
or
ACV with 1 drop grapefruit, 1 drop tea tree & 1 drop lemongrass EO to every 2 oz vinegar

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.