Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a three year old daughter, who has a six year old brother(same dad, different mom). They see each other when they visit dad.

My daughter kept bringing up the fact that her dad has a gun. So I asked her how she knows. She told me that her and her brother found it in dad's bed.

I asked her did she touch it. She said no but her brother picked it up and pointed at her "but he didn't shoot me".

I talked with her dad about it and tried to come up with a way to keep the kids safe but only got backlash and reasons why his gun is not in a safe. And why it's necessary to have the gun available if needed.

At this point I asked him to visit her at my house where I feel like she will be safe. I have never denied him access to his child. I feel like in this situation I can be so lenient. It's life and death.

Am I overthinking? Overparenting?

·
Registered
18 Posts
No, you're not over thinking! If he has a loaded gun under his bed or whatever where the kids KNOW where it's at and can easily tamper with it- thats a big problem. Teach the kids gun safety and do what you have to do to keep your baby safe. I'm very pro gun, but keeping it where kids can get it is not smart.

Sent from my SM-S506DL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
317 Posts
The six year old pointed an unsecured gun at your toddler? Speak with your lawyer about your parental rights in this situation. It would be child endangerment to allow the children stay in a home where they already know a gun is stored under the bed, and they've had unfettered access to it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.