Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ugh.

Quote:
SIEM REAP, Cambodia - Masked gunmen burst into an international school near Cambodia's famed Angkor Wat temples Thursday, taking dozens of toddlers hostage and killing a 3-year-old Canadian boy they said cried too much. Police overpowered the attackers as they tried to escape after a six-hour standoff.

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
I heard about this on the radio during dinner. I'm usually "good" at not letting sad news affect me -- there is so much of it everyday, you have to just deal -- and when I heard about it the first time, I thought oh how sad. Heard an interview with a parent whose child was at the school but wasn't taken, and still just thought oh, how sad. But then in the next hourly news update, they added that reporters had been told that the boy was shot because he wouldn't stop crying. I just lost it there in the kitchen. I'm bawling again now. I ache for the boy and his family. I'm Canadian; I have a 3 yo son.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I cried about this today too. I was reading the news and nursing my 4-month old before work. I read this story and the tears just started flowing. Just before I was about to leave for work, my 3-year-old woke up. I just hugged him so tight, and took a few extra minutes to read him some stories. I just couldn't believe that news story. That poor family!

·
Premium Member
3,205 Posts
Yeah, that's one hell of a story isn't it?

WHat is it that makes people so desperate that they pathetically think that shooting a child hostage in the head will somehow help the situation? Good God.

I have also read in some Aus media that the hostage takers were specifically targeting 2 children (Korean national parents) who attended the school, with the intent to kill these 2 Korean children as some sort of revenge. I haven't seen anything further about that (if the story is indeed true), but I'd be interested to know exactly why someone would think the murder of children is appropriate revenge.

Nothing can excuse the murder of that baby in the school, but I really would like to know more about the motives of the four suspects, if only for the sake of disclosure. Not that I think that's going to happen, of course.......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.