Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DD is 3 1/2. She has been taking a weekly gymnastics class a the rec center for about 9 months. She loves it! She's also learning quite a lot. The class has a nice structure that gives the kids direction but allows them freedom of choice and movement too.<br><br>
The problem is that she has developed a pretty good friendship with the only other child that has been a regular. This other child is not a very good listener (she just turned 3) and is disruptive to the class. She often shows up for class 15 minutes late.<br><br>
DD has in the last month or so started being very interested in playing with the other child during class (you know: holding hands, using the same equipment, talking, giggling, getting worked up and running around a little). It's really hard when she's been involved in the class for awhile when her friend shows up. DD just has to focus on her friend rather than class. Sometimes it's disruptive to the other kids.<br><br>
We tried going to the playground next to the rec center for 15 minutes before class to allow DD time to play a little with the other kids in the class (many parents come early to do this too) and it works well on the days her friend shows up early. They get some socialization done and are ready to focus on class a bit more. But her friend's parents just have not been able to get her there early (or on time) very much even though they agree it's a good idea. Often the girls do play at the park after class.<br><br>
So my question is should we switch to a class on a different day to help DD stay involved in the class or stick with her current group since the friendship is so important to her? (One of the original goals for me when we started classes was for DD to have the opportunity to make friends.)<br><br>
BTW I'm not really wanting to hang out with these other parents for play dates. They are yellers and the way they discipline makes my skin crawl. I'm OK at the park but just can't imagine having them over to my house.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
There are a couple different ways to look at this<br>
1. There is always going to be that "one kid" in almost every class that is disruptive, even if they dont mean to be. Odds are if you switch to another class someone else will be late, loud, disruptive etc...<br><br>
what is the teacher doing to involve you DD? most of our classes have an 'arrive on time' philsophy.. meaning if you are late you may not be allowed to participate....<br><br>
this is also a good opportunity for DD to learn about making choices...and making GOOD friends... and also an opprortunity for learning to pay attention in class and not to the many disruptions that are going to occur<br><br>
but no i would not change classes based on the other child.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts