Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were talking about how it's horrible to pierce a baby's ears and she said, well it's even worse what they do to girls in some countries (FGM).

So I said, they also do it to boys in USA.

She reacted completely HORRIFIED. She said "I thought they had stopped with that nonsense decades ago!" And she went on: "please don't talk about that, it makes me nauseous to even think about it."

I just wanted to share because I think in USA it is usually not clear how the rest of the world perceives this atrocity.

·
Premium Member
6,219 Posts
It is always refreshing to me to hear from non americans--it gives me hope for humanity.

·
Banned
2,832 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cristina63303 View Post
We were talking about how it's horrible to pierce a baby's ears and she said, well it's even worse what they do to girls in some countries (FGM).

So I said, they also do it to boys in USA.

She reacted completely HORRIFIED. She said "I thought they had stopped with that nonsense decades ago!" And she went on: "please don't talk about that, it makes me nauseous to even think about it."

I just wanted to share because I think in USA it is usually not clear how the rest of the world perceives this atrocity.
I'm from Russia and my my friends have hard time to believe about circ.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yulia_R View Post
I'm from Russia and my my friends have hard time to believe about circ.
I have a hard time believing it, too, even when it's all around me. I have a hard time believing how horrible we Americans are.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by savienu View Post
I have a hard time believing it, too, even when it's all around me. I have a hard time believing how horrible we Americans are.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cristina63303 View Post
My mother had a similar reaction. (She's British.) It was along the lines of, "What? Why would anyone even want to do that to a healthy baby? I don't get it." Also, when I was telling her about how a lot of doctors and caregivers forcibly retract boys' foreskins, she shuddered and looked kind of nauseated at the mere thought of it. "Don't they know that doing that hurts little boys? That's horrible!"

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
I once heard from a foreign man living in the US that at a routine physical he was propositioned for a circ by the doctor.
: The guy was ABSOLUTELY horrified, as he should be!

That's how many doctors think here in the US. They don't seem to *get* that there is immense value and physical pleasure in the foreskin because they had theirs removed at birth.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Thank you for sharing that. It is really hard living in a country where circumcision is still happening so frequently - even in our own families. When we decided that we were not going to circumcise our son when he was born (now 4 1/2 years old), we got an earful from numerous family members, including my own mother who told me, "I sure wish you would just have him circumcised." (Our son is the only grandson on our side of the family out of 10 grandsons that is NOT circumcised. My DH has 3 nephews that are intact.) Ugh. I told her that she made her decision with her sons, and this decision is not mine to make - it is up to my son. If and when he ever wants to be circumcised the decision will be his and his alone. I even used the same analogy that you mentioned and told her that I would never assume that my daughter wants pierced ears either. When she asks for it some day (if she even does) then it will be her decision. Of course, my mom even had to throw in, "Well, I hope that you don't expect me to clean it if I have to do a diaper change."
I told her that there was no special cleaning involved with a foreskin and it was best to leave it alone anyway. It amazes me how ignorant people in this country are on this subject.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daisyuk View Post
What does she think it's going to do, open up and bite her?
LOL Exactly! It's comments like my mom's that show how truly ignorant a lot of people are about the foreskin.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.