Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the dr today. I got a script for prozac. I've never taken that before. Can anyone tell me anything about it. I looked up a lil about it at the kelly bf website. But want to know ACTUAL info from other mamas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,912 Posts
Wait until the day before your DPs days off to start it. It takes up to 4 weeks for it to start to work, but the TEMPORARY side effects happen almost right away. One of the possible temporary side effects is extreme drousiness. I slept through our mini vacation, lol. The sleepiness lasted about 4 days for me, but the 2 days in the middle were the worst. Then I just quit suddenly after day 4. Get lots of your favorite hydrating drinks because you may have cotton mouth. Also sweating can happen. Please don't be scared, it goes away I PROMISE IT DOES GO AWAY!!!! The side effects for me went away one at a time....the sweating thing took almost 3 weeks though and subsided gradually. The others quit abruptly after a week or 2. By week 4 you should be feeling noticably better. It was like waking up out of a fog for me. I just suddenly realised that getting out of bed wasn't so bad one morning....and everything started looking up from there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by moondiapers View Post
Wait until the day before your DPs days off to start it. It takes up to 4 weeks for it to start to work, but the TEMPORARY side effects happen almost right away. One of the possible temporary side effects is extreme drousiness. I slept through our mini vacation, lol. The sleepiness lasted about 4 days for me, but the 2 days in the middle were the worst. Then I just quit suddenly after day 4. Get lots of your favorite hydrating drinks because you may have cotton mouth. Also sweating can happen. Please don't be scared, it goes away I PROMISE IT DOES GO AWAY!!!! The side effects for me went away one at a time....the sweating thing took almost 3 weeks though and subsided gradually. The others quit abruptly after a week or 2. By week 4 you should be feeling noticably better. It was like waking up out of a fog for me. I just suddenly realised that getting out of bed wasn't so bad one morning....and everything started looking up from there.

Did you take it while BF? DH is off this weekend. I was going to get it filled and start taking it tonight. Do you think taking it in the evening is better? I would guess so if it makes me sleepy.

Thanks for the info about side effects.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
I was getting ready to start a thread about this!

My question differs just a little: I went to the doctor and said I was worried about PPD as I am having some problems with depression during pregnancy. He simply wrote me a prescription to prozac, and said I could start it July 1st. If I am still pregnant then, is it safe to take? Should I wait until after delivery?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,912 Posts
Yes I was breastfeeding. Usually paxil or zoloft are tried first because prozac can make a newborn VERY sleepy. My son was 2 months old when I started and it did make him a bit drowsy at first. I just had to remember to wake him up to nurse. It seemed to subside about a week later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,912 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs.Bufford View Post
I was getting ready to start a thread about this!

My question differs just a little: I went to the doctor and said I was worried about PPD as I am having some problems with depression during pregnancy. He simply wrote me a prescription to prozac, and said I could start it July 1st. If I am still pregnant then, is it safe to take? Should I wait until after delivery?

Will this be your first time on antidepressants? If so and your doc didn't have any particular reason for trying prozac first I'd call him back and ask for zoloft or paxil. If one of those works for you the side effects are much more mild and short lived, AND they are the safest for baby.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My med ended up costing $170!! I did not get it. Apparently, there is prozac and somethnig made by another company that starts with an "s". Prozac (it's generic form actually) is only $4!! The doc wrote the script for the other stuff that starts with an "s". Now I have to go back to the doc and get it for the generic for prozac instead.

The BIG problem is that I had to go to the health dept for my prenatal care since we have no insurance. And the ob clinic is only on Thursdays. So the doc is not there any other day of the week. NOW I have to wait until NEXT thursday to get the script changed. I had already been waiting 5 weeks so that I can get an appointment anyway!!
:

Yesterday was very hard for me. So much running around and transition going on. By 9pm, I was literally dizzy. I spent most of the day in tears about random things. Like my babies sleeping in the car because I HAD to go to the bank and the cell phone place and wal-mart and target. Anf the baes just slept. For SOME reason, I felt really guilty about that tho.
:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,505 Posts
Was the name of the med your doc prescribed "sertraline"? If so, that's the generic name for Zoloft.

I'm not sure what the difference is in effectiveness b/w Prozac and Zoloft, but I have read that Zoloft is better for BFing. I was sad to realize that it isn't covered by the $4 RX program at Walmart though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
383 Posts
it sounds like maybe your doc wrote the prescriptin for "sarafem." this is a new branding of generic fluoxetine (prozac) for PMS, but it is just the same as prozac/fluoxetine. i'm sorry you had to wait so long to see your doc, and now have to wait AGAIN to get the prescription changed. make sure s/he writes the prescription for "fluoxetine" or checks the box that says "ok to substitue generic.

also, i second the PP's advice--if you are breastfeeding it would probably be better to try zoloft unless you have some reason not to take that.

as for the side effects, it's recommended you GRADUALLY work up to the dosage. start with half of the dosage (make sure with the pharmacist you aren't on some slow/extended release before you cut the pills...) for a couple days and see how you tolerate it. hope this help!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was for sarafem. And it isn't covered for the $4 scripts. I got ahold of the nurse that helped me yeterday at the clinic and she called the pharmacy and had the script fixed for the generic for prozac. I was so relieved that she was there, She has a 4 month old and was dealing with ppd but is being treated. She was great.

I did mention zoloft but he said prozac was his first choice. It think it will be fine. I'm just relieved that the problem was fixed today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,849 Posts
I have been off for sometime now...I had a baby, went through some bad,bad crap at home with hubby, and am now a 110 on the scale. Somedays are bad, but some are worse. She's turning 7 mths in few days. I was on Prozac prior to being pg, and it was a lifesaver. But, the depression feels different this time. It feels almost deeper, darker. I attribute alot of this to my personal problems with dh. I am just so tired. My dh and I were watching t.v. this morning, and we saw a commercial for Cymbalta. I wanted to cry. He kept agreeing with the commentator. He quietly told me "that's you...you need that." I just want the head noise to stop, my heart to stop racing, to stop crying and yelling, and to just have peace. I feel horrible right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A few years ago I was feeling that SAME way. The internal dialog in my head was literally driving me NUTS
: . I went on paxil and felt like a new person in a matter of days.

Please seek help. The prozac should help again. I am so glad that I talked to my family about this. They have all been very supportive. I printed stuff from the internet for dh to read and called my mom and told her what was going on. She said she had no idea; and I talk to her just about everyday.

s to you. You can do it. Hang in there. Keep coming here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
608 Posts
Also wanted to note you may have a wide range of side effects - sweats, nausea, headaches. They do fade as your body gets used to the meds. BUT if they are unbearable or not fading after a few weeks, talk to your doctor (or better yet, a psychiatrist who specializes in PPD) about trying one of the other SSRIs. I started on Zoloft, had terrible reactions, and then switched to Celexa and had a much easier time.

It was a little freaky seeing a psychiatrist for the first time, until I realized that she is a specialist in understanding and treating depression, not to mention pharmacology. I don't see her for therapy, just for meds.

GL and hang in there!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,546 Posts
cymbalta was a lifesaver for me,it made me so much better at letting things go and not losing it,i was definatly a happier person on it,unfortunately it isn't working as well anymore but i have been on it for a number of years so i have an appointment today to switch,
good luck

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mamabug&co. View Post
I have been off for sometime now...I had a baby, went through some bad,bad crap at home with hubby, and am now a 110 on the scale. Somedays are bad, but some are worse. She's turning 7 mths in few days. I was on Prozac prior to being pg, and it was a lifesaver. But, the depression feels different this time. It feels almost deeper, darker. I attribute alot of this to my personal problems with dh. I am just so tired. My dh and I were watching t.v. this morning, and we saw a commercial for Cymbalta. I wanted to cry. He kept agreeing with the commentator. He quietly told me "that's you...you need that." I just want the head noise to stop, my heart to stop racing, to stop crying and yelling, and to just have peace. I feel horrible right now.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top