Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I don't want to start a fight here, but I don't like that t-shirt and think it is unfair. I breastfed my daughter, but I don't think it's right to say that all moms who formula feed prop bottles. None of the bottlefed babies I know have their bottles propped. In fact, most of them receive their bottles on their moms laps, even after they are old enough to hold the thing themselves.

I find the shirt kind of offensive, even though my daughter was not bottle fed.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I like that shirt, in my experience many ff'er dp prop bottles. I was ff'er and i didn't prop but I still like that shirt
:

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I have to agree with everyone else. It is one more reason for ff'ers to think bf'ers are radical and judgmental. For the record, I formula fed my first daughter who is 3 now. While I would never do that ever again and know better this time around, I would have been highly offended by that shirt. I NEVER propped a bottle, NEVER even considered it. I thought those who did were idiots and being reckless and lazy. I believe that most ff'ers are not bottle proppers; and I am quite the lactivist since my 2nd DD was born a year ago and nurses wonderfully.

BUT, on the flip side of that, I think that it's great that you would be confident enough to wear something so brazen. Know what I mean?

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Not to mention those of us who work our a$$es off pumping because our baby's can't nurse and must use a bottle. I give my baby her bottle of Mama's milk with the same love and attachment that I nurse my older daughter.

I know, you weren't talking about me. But that shirt doesn't discriminate who it's putting down to make you feel superior. It doesn't ask each mother what her story is. All it does is make a person feel like crap for making a choice that may very well have been out of their control.

Bec

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
I don't know, I liked it. I am not sure I would have the guts to wear it, but then again... maybe I would.
I know that not all FF are lazy and such, but it seems like an aweful lot of american women are unable to bf. I don't know, I get tired of pussy footing around the issue sometimes. Sometimes it just feels good to "in your face" BF is best. It is. There you go. Why should BF tip-toe around it in fear of always offending FF when it is OK for formula to be pushed on you every freaking second.
So I guess maybe I would wear the shirt. But I would need it in a tank top!

H

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I myself, being a full time pumping mom, prefer shirts that focus on the benefits of breastMILK itself, while not necessarily putting down bottlefeeding, which sometimes must be done. I think it's great for people to see my son in a BF advocacy tee while getting his bottle of EBM. Kind of changes one's perception, rather than automatically assuming all bottle-feeding moms are ff'ing bottle-proppers. I have never once given my son a bottle without hurting inside because he is not at my breast. Never. It literally is like a new wound to me every single time. Some of you know what I mean. Just my side of the coin, and I do agree that BF'ers are forced or pressured into pussyfooting around ff'ers. I think we should be able to speak honestly, but gently and lovingly.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I prefer things that are a bit more lighthearted. For example, I recently saw one that I want to get for my DD (but can't afford) that says:

"Breastmilk rules, Formula drools."

Sums up my feelings. And it would be such an in-your-face to my self-righteous ff'ing w/out even trying to bf former best friend.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
I chuckled when I saw that shirt but I don't think I would have the guts to wear it. I think it sucks that so many people get offended by a shirt like that. To each his own though.

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
I'm pretty hardcore and militant about breastfeeding (that's actually an understatement
) but the shirt is a bit much.
:

It just would put people on the defense too much. I think about the woman whose baby I'm expressing milk for who had a double masectomy - she can't breastfeed but she's still a "real woman" yk?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmmm. Ya know, maybe you guys are right. I never considered the moms who EBM. I think I am gonna ask her to take out the last part, so it only says, "Real women breastfeed."
Do you think that is still too over the top?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Quote:
I never considered the moms who EBM. I think I am gonna ask her to take out the last part, so it only says, "Real women breastfeed."
I kind of think that's the cruel part. Although, I must admit sometimes I do FEEL that way. But like others have said, there are women who can't breastfeed and they're still women.

Dina

·
Banned
1,425 Posts
Real women don't wear shirts ripping on other women.

How about a shirt that reads, 'I breastfeed'. Or 'I'm glad I lactate'.

Let's start with some 'I' statements in this world and stop setting up the battlefield between women. Enough already! Think about what all that energy could do toward changing the world.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Let's start with some 'I' statements in this world and stop setting up the battlefield between women. Enough already! Think about what all that energy could do toward changing the world.
You are right. Thank you for that slap of common sense. I needed it. (Not being sarcastic....I'm serious.)

Quote:
How about a shirt that reads, 'I breastfeed'.
That is an excelent idea. It would make me feel like I am saying how proud I am to be a breastfeeding mother, without making others feel like crap.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.