Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Ladies!

Any members of our DDC that get highlights or color their hair? If so, what are you planning to do? I usually get highlights from an Aveda salon, and am loosely planning to get highlights again (so long as no color touches my scalp) at about 14 weeks. What about you?

·
Registered
930 Posts
I will be getting highlights (foils, not touching my scalp) a week from tomorrow. I will be 12 weeks. I get them every 2-3 months and did so last pregnancy. I wouldn't do something like all-over bleach on my whole head, though.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I color regularly, but not while pregnant. It just so happened that my last appointment was scheduled during my fourth week...and I couldn't get it done. So now I'm SOL until postpartum.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I used to color religiously but haven't since I was pregnant with ds2. I do have some grays I'd like to cover up but at this point I rather like not having to maintain it, so if I do anything it will be semi-permanent hair color instead of permanent.

·
Registered
605 Posts
While I'm pregnant, there is very little that I feel like I have control over, in the way of making myself look better. Hair style and color is one of the few things that is controllable. There is little evidence that hair color affects the pregnancy, but to each their own and I'm not here to sway you one way or the other. For me, I have, and will keep dying my hair at home, because it makes me FEEL better while pregnant. My natural color is boring and my eyebrows are much darker, so I look odd if I don't dye it. Not to mention, I feel I look better (and I get more compliments) when my hair isn't my normal color. Does this make me horribly selfish? Probably.

Otherwise, it's 9 months of listening to me whine about being the only ugly preggo chick in the world, and it ain't pretty.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Conchobhar - I'm with you, I'm gonna dye my hair this week (hopefully) because I'm just 'homely' looking all around and I'm distressed enough about weight so I might as well make the rest of me try to look better..and to me there's not enough concrete evidence that it's bad. I will be asking my doctor though when I finally get an appointment.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The only thing I have noticed (and my hairstylists has commented she has noticed with other pregnant women) is that my hair takes to the color a little differently while pregnant. ..

So my light brown might turn out a little darker than I wanted, or something along those lines.

As long as you are somewhere that is well ventilated, I don't see anything wrong with it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have continued to color my hair, (with a low-volume glaze) and if all goes well I'll have a new job as a stylist within a couple weeks. Then I'll be dealing with haircolor on a daily basis. I haven't been able to find any evidence of exposure to haircolor being harmful to the fetus and I've known lots of women who continue working as stylists through late pregnancy with no ill-effects (other than getting sick of standing all day.) I personally don't think it's risky and would rather feel cute than have 6 inches of roots by the time the baby arrives.

Chilichiki is right, many, if not most, women find that their hair takes color differently while they are pregnant.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am so glad to hear that other mamas-to-be are planning to color as well. At this stage I am just feeling/looking fatter, and I made the poor choice to cut my hair short-short before I got pregnant, so now I am rocking a near mullet with major roots! I can hold out a few more weeks, but much longer than that... I make no guarantees!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.