Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/f...6/Hair%20Test/

It looks like I failed rule #3, but passed the others. I'm still waiting for the girls results. I've been supping zinc for about 8 months, could that be why zinc is so high? Or it's the mercury causing deranged transport? More questions below, but feel free to share any thoughts and advice

The high cal and mag actually means low right?

Is the low rubidium an issue I should do something about?

Is potassium something I would supp?

Does the mag count as yellow or red since it's right on the line?

Anything else for me to read about chelation besides Cutler's books and the autism-mercury yahoo group?

How long after chelating is it safe to ttc?

Background: My 2 dds have a lot of food intolerances and alergies. I've never had mercury fillings. My 22 mo still nurses, but we may wean soon for me to deal with health issues. I'm hypothyroid and have adrenal issues as well as hg during both pregnancies.

Thanks in advance and for all the help we've gotten here already!

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
Most likely the zinc is high because of deranged mineral transport. Even without a known source, combining your symptoms and your daughters and the hair test, I'd assume the mercury is real in which case zinc is a long-term deal to normalize.

Let me get my book out and see what it says, but for now, the cal, mag and potassium probably say more about your adrenals and thyroid than the actual minerals themselves, though it's a fair bet that you could use more magnesium (if you're already supping, it may be enough, but it's likely you'd need the supplementation to continue).

As for chelating and TTC, to me, it seems like the fundamentals are to be full-up on nutrients and to have very little in the way of metals and toxins mobilized, including in the few months prior to TTC, say 3-5 months? to allow a healthy, low stress time for the egg to be developing in. Chelating uses up a lot of nutrients and deliberately moves metals and weird junk, so how close the timing should be depends on how well you're keeping up with your nutrient needs and how much residual junk is leftover after your chelation. I like vitamin C flushes for helping reduce residual junk.

http://www.perque.com/pdfs/Pt_Ascorbate_Slush_FIN.pdf

back to the book...

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by linguistmama View Post
http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/f...6/Hair%20Test/

It looks like I failed rule #3, but passed the others. I'm still waiting for the girls results. I've been supping zinc for about 8 months, could that be why zinc is so high? Or it's the mercury causing deranged transport? More questions below, but feel free to share any thoughts and advice

The high cal and mag actually means low right?

Is the low rubidium an issue I should do something about?

Is potassium something I would supp?

Does the mag count as yellow or red since it's right on the line?

Anything else for me to read about chelation besides Cutler's books and the autism-mercury yahoo group?

How long after chelating is it safe to ttc?

Background: My 2 dds have a lot of food intolerances and alergies. I've never had mercury fillings. My 22 mo still nurses, but we may wean soon for me to deal with health issues. I'm hypothyroid and have adrenal issues as well as hg during both pregnancies.

Thanks in advance and for all the help we've gotten here already!
In the order I run across it in the book....

-low potassium suggests the possibility of low thyroid function
-calcium often moves opposite body inventory, so you're likely low--didn't remember if this was still the case even with deranged mineral transport
-mag in hair also often moves opposite body inventory and most everyone with mercury issues needs more mag regardless of their hair test
-elevation of both cal and mag can mean parathyroid problems causing wasting of both (may want to check out sbgrace's posts on parathyroid issues, she says serum calcium >10 isn't ok even though it's in the ref range)
-low body inventory of chromium, zinc and manganese can lead to problems dealing with carbs (not sure if your manganese is low enough to count)
-ratio of cal to phosphorus (3570/205=17) indicates slow metabolizer, tend to show lower hair toxic levels for a given body burden than fast metabolizers
-slow metabolizers usually do best with: b complex, balanced protein and carb, salt, fat intake low/moderate, may need supplemental HCl... if CO2 on a blood chemistry panel is below 22, additional acid at meals may be helpful
-cal & mag up and potassium & sodium down usually means adrenals not making enough cortisol or adrenaline and thyroid probably sluggish
-Na/K ratio > 10 also suggests low thyroid (you probably notice the pattern, not that it sounds like a surprise to you)
-low potassium compared to calcium _also_ suggests low thyroid (normal 0.03 - 0.35 for K/Ca)
-exercise helps with elevation of cal & mag compared to sodium & potassium

Rubidium usually corresponds well to sodium and potassium during disordered mineral transport or adrenally stressed people. Rubidium is an antidepressant, affects the serotonin transmitter system. Doesn't sound like anyone supplements it, more it's an indicator of other stuff going on.

Mag on the red line means red zone.

Don't supplement potassium. Stressed adrenals mean your body's wasting sodium, your body is having a hard time keeping your sodium-potassium balance, which is key for getting nutrients into your cells. You'd do better salting to taste, and remembering to salt stuff. Some folks drink extra salt mixed into water, just straight up.

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
Places to read: the frequent dose chelation yahoo group is mostly for adults. It is very Cutler-focused, no discussion of other stuff. A-M is more centered on kids and has some more discussion of other approaches though it's still fairly Cutler-centered. Books on ASD and biochemical approaches also discuss supplements and overall health and chelation, I've only read Kenneth Bock's book, it's good, but not detailed about chelation.

The most robust safety discussions are done in the context of kids, even though the safety issues for adults are quite similar.

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
I think mostly thyroid problems are reversible. I won't say always, but I'd think mostly. Mercury both depletes nutrients our bodies need for proper thyroid function (zinc, selenium, iodine, B vits) and I think it more directly impedes thyroid function by physically settling in and preventing some chemical reactions from happening. So get the mercury out and supplement nutrients and you'll improve a lot. Parathyroid stuff can also be related to mercury, I know less about it but I think the same general principle can be involved, but understanding calcium and vitamin D levels would be important here, I think, just in terms of healthy current functioning.

Adrenals can heal, for a lot of us that's the slowest, but even just cutting out my problem foods and supping a lot of nutrients and focusing on lifestyle stuff, plenty of sleep, snacks, like that, I saw improvements adrenally, even before I got my amalgams out and chelated.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now I don't know whether to cry from relief or confusion since the girls both passed counting rules!

DD1:
http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/f...t=IMG_0001.jpg

DD2:
http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/f...urrent=IMG.jpg

I'm guessing iodine is indicative of the actual level since I've been supping me and dd2 still nurses? Are their ratios ok? Why are they both so painfully shy? I thought that maybe their lithium would be really low, but it's not. Can it really be that my gut issues caused all of their allergy problems, my mercury helped trash it?

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
I was just going to say I think the first test fails the counting rules, but I think it's your test again, not your daughter's

For your 1yo, she's actually showing quite a bit of mercury in her hair. I *think* Andy says for young kids, sometimes this is how mercury exposure first shows up, it takes a while to mess up mineral transport. So I'm not sure I'd assume she's in the clear, just that her mineral transport is still OK (or was when the hair used was grown - does your DD's hair grow slowly like my little guy?). And if she has mercury moving through her gut, that can totally mess with digestion, even if it's not deranging mineral transport.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oops, fixed it now
So would you consider chelating at this point at all or just supporting more detox with vitamin C etc for the girls? I'm looking into zeolite for me and also reading on the autism-mercury group. I think her hair growth is pretty normal.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Do your DD's both have food issues, or is your younger daughter more of a problem? It looks like your DD1 *may* detox metals better than DD2? That's the case in our house - my two kids slept on the same futon, DD is fine, DS was highly antimony toxic (from flame retardants in the futon).

We've had good success with the zeolite, I plan to try to use it at very low levels long term with DS to support his obviously sluggish metals detox.

I think the thing might be to figure out how to mop up as much of the mercury moving around your system as possible, so you can reduce the amount going to your DD in breastmilk. Not sure how to do that safely while nursing - Tanya probably knows
. Something like modifilan or clay, maybe (to mop up, but not mobilize).

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Both have multiple food allergies/intolerances. Oldest dd was diagnosed with Asperger's, but all her symptoms except social anxiety go away when she's off the allergens. Youngest has some social anxiety, but not nearly as much as dd1.

I think I read that you give the zeolite on rounds day and night like AC protocol. Do you plan to give it just during the day eventually? I was wondering about that for us, me doing actual rounds with it and possibly ALA, but just a small maintenance dose of zeolite for the kids during the day. (I need to read more on the ncd autism group). Then maybe retest them after a year to see if mercury seems to be causing any problems.

The oldest is weaned and I'm planning to wean dd2 when she turns 2 next month. I plan to work on my health issues prior to ttcing again. That's my biggest question right now. Right now I'm defaulting to getting my mercury out before ttcing. The girls tests looking so much better than I thought they would gave me some happy flutters though!

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by linguistmama View Post
I think I read that you give the zeolite on rounds day and night like AC protocol. Do you plan to give it just during the day eventually? I was wondering about that for us, me doing actual rounds with it and possibly ALA, but just a small maintenance dose of zeolite for the kids during the day. (I need to read more on the ncd autism group). Then maybe retest them after a year to see if mercury seems to be causing any problems.
Yes, that's how we've been doing the zeolite, AC protocol. Lately I've been doing really long rounds, two weeks or so. Been stopped for 3 weeks now - I'm going to do a new hair test next week to see where we're at. If most of his metals are down to reasonable levels, I'll try stopping the night dosing, and just put him on a maintenance daytime dosing.

The ncd autism group is useless, IMO - the autism mercury group is way better, just ignore that AC thinks zeolite is useless

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.