Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"As the long forgotten razor rusts, thick with dust in the dark recesses of a past consumed with self-vanity and constricting beauty ideals, we, the hairy victors pump our fists in the air, our goddess-given hair blowing in the breeze of a new tomorrow..."
Quoting fairy--ooops, I mean-- "HAIRYlotus!" (hope ya don't mind, but you're kinda the resident poet here!)

OK... happy november to my favorite nonconformists!

~brooke~

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Brooke-thanks for starting a Nov. thread (and especially one that starts out w/ such strong, proud words
). I missed this one and posted on the old one...

Dh SHAVED!!! His head, beard-it's all gone
I am in shock right now! Dd was petrified of him all yesterday...

Anyway, just subscribing.

Peace and love

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, but I'm not sure how to post a link from the oct. thread... can someone else do it so everyone finds nov? Sorry sorry sorry!
Thanks!
~brooke~

·
Registered
118 Posts
mothernurture - Hey, I'm from NC myself! Near those beautiful western mountains where you probably were backpacking. Spent several years in Raleigh and actually lived in Wilmington as a small child. Very beautiful but not-beautiful attitudes outside of some alternative pockets (which I guess you have found).

sunshinesister - I have only been to 2 national gatherings, once in NC in '86 and again in Colorado in '92. I have heard that the regionals are often better. I kind of have a problem with the politics there, especially the sexual politics, but I agree with you about how it makes you feel. And I am glad that it happens and is successful. We would always stay with the radical fairies, who are a lot of fun.

shelbi - I agree with your comments on beauty and think about this as our little toot grows up. I am sad that she will have to have this crap dumped on her. I think the targeting of children by corporations with advertising is pretty much evil. I don't even remember worrying about what I was wearing until at least 12 or 14 and then, after playing the game (pretty unsuccessfully) for a few years, realizing what was up. I guess the most we can do is prepare our children by instilling confidence in them, showing that there are alternative models (like what is happening here) and cultivating critical thinking.

When my dw and I had our first date, she was very nervous, apparently. I am 13 years older than her and she was unsure of herself so asked her friends for advice. They advised her to shave her pits and legs and "dress up", which is hilarious if you could see me. She refused to shave and at one point told me about this, hoping that I didn't mind. She was actually pretty worried that I would be turned off by it. I told her I preferred her that way (hairy), though of course I wouldn't judge her if she did shave, and she was really relieved. I guess people had convinced her it would be a big issue.

I think this thread is really great. I feel like I have more in common with the views and opinions of people here than just about any other thread I've seen. It is really great how people here make connections between all the issues and then embody this in their lives. This is not always so easy to find in the world.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Happy november my hairy sistas and brother

Just wanted to subscribe so I won't miss out on any hairy action

Lovin' how ya started the thread Brook with the fairylouts quote
I vote her to be our national spokesMama
this is her only her sign says say no to wax!
I was thinkin' we need a mama smiley with some hairy pit action goin on! Ya know mabey like the wave one only with some sexy hairy pits

Raven.....Thanks for postin' the link back on octobers page I don't know how to do that either but it sure makes it easy to jump on over to the new thread
TootPapa..... What a great 1st date story. I can't imagine how relieved your hunny must have been after finding out you would preferr her Hairy!
Mother nurture.........Sorry your both missin' the beard mama although it will grow back. I know whay ya mean about your little one being so terrified my little ones grandpa shaved and she was like "what have you done with my papa" it took her like 2 weeks before she started to be cool with him again

EarthAngel.......Good luck with the b-day party mama

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Dd has finally warmed up to dh
She still is a little timid and keeps saying, "Papa shaved. Hair all gone." I don't think she has touched his face yet and will only let him kiss her. Dh's beard was like her security blanket. She
playing w/ it.

It was a really warm day here today. It was so freeing to be in a sleeveless dress and all hairy again. The hair has really come in nice now. I keep admiring my pits

tootpapa-Wilmington is a beautiful city. I have to admit that i have even had some trouble w/ the small little pockets of people. A lot of BTW-your dw sounds like a strong, spirited, amazing woman! I hope one day she stops by here and says hello.

Earth Angel-
: to your little one!!! Let us know how it goes!!

NattylockedMama- I was just thinking last night about how we should have a hairy mama icon, too. And I love the "Say no to Wax."

Peace and love

·
Registered
181 Posts
Greetings Hairy Ones!

A little poetic nourishment from your Hairy spokesmama!

Hairy Is a State of Mind

Baa Baad wacky sheeple have you any hair?
No sir no sir, there's none there.
None on my pitts sir and none on my legs
None in the nether regions, for hair is a plague.
Baa Baad wacky sheeple have you any hair?
No sir no sir, there's none there…

Here she comes,
All grotesque and Barbie~dollesque
The poster child for ideals gone sour
Faked up in makeup and refusing to wakeup, she takes the cake for poseur of the hour

She advocates conformity
Like it's the way things are supposed to be
With tweezers in one hand and in the other a razor
She's raving about shaving and hair removal by lasers

Alternative thought is a mute songbird
Silenced by the absurd words of the backward herd
The sheeple are praising their razors, raising their daughters and voices
Without values or ethics or personal choices

When are we going to learn not to conform to the "norm"
To appreciate the bodies into which we were born?
Society lies and conditioning binds
We must wipe clean the slate and reprogram our minds

Natural is beautiful,
And Beautiful is Free
Implanted ideals, however uncouth will forever remain stalking the youth
Until the world at last is able to grasp this simple truth

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
:

I really didn't even say anything to my dh when we were first dating. But, at that point I had only stopped shaving my pits although I had let my leg hair be for a bit. When the first time we intimate relations I was a bit nervous but figured if the lights were out he may not notice
But, when he undressed me he said I was the most beautiful woman he had ever had the pleasure of seeing and touching. The hair was such a non-issue for him. His buddies still razz him and me about it but I just give them my "F you and your opinion too dance"

Does anyone ever go sleeveless to a job interview? Just curios. I always choose something long with sleeves to cover up my hair. I wonder if others do the same. Silly but it does have an impact upon people. It is not a wise thing to shock the person you are trying to get a job with KWIM? Sad really but just a reality.

I didn't even realize about the beards for men. I would think that it wouldn't be such an issue but I guess to some people it is a symbol of an unkept look or something. I am glad that my eyes were opened a bit.

Peace,
Shelbi

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hippiemom2
:

I really didn't even say anything to my dh when we were first dating. But, at that point I had only stopped shaving my pits although I had let my leg hair be for a bit. When the first time we intimate relations I was a bit nervous but figured if the lights were out he may not notice
But, when he undressed me he said I was the most beautiful woman he had ever had the pleasure of seeing and touching. The hair was such a non-issue for him. His buddies still razz him and me about it but I just give them my "F you and your opinion too dance"

Does anyone ever go sleeveless to a job interview? Just curios. I always choose something long with sleeves to cover up my hair. I wonder if others do the same. Silly but it does have an impact upon people. It is not a wise thing to shock the person you are trying to get a job with KWIM? Sad really but just a reality.

I didn't even realize about the beards for men. I would think that it wouldn't be such an issue but I guess to some people it is a symbol of an unkept look or something. I am glad that my eyes were opened a bit.

Peace,
Shelbi
Shelbi-What a sweet story of you and your dh
Any place I ever interviewed for a job I didn't wear a sleeveless shirt. But, it wasn't related to hair. Merely the fact that it was winter and cold.
With that being said...at my current job I rarely go sleeveless. I have little children sitting in my lap all day and when it is warm enough to wear sleeveless tops-I sweat. More of a courtesy to the little ones.
However, many of the parents know that I am hairy and don't seem to mind. I wear sleeveless tops a lot in the warm months around town. There's a pretty small community of NFL families, so they see me and my hair out on the town.

Hey ya-Lizzo!!

·
Registered
436 Posts
hello hairy mommas! i am a fuzzy mother of a four month old and partner to my bearded dh.... who is happily comfortable with my unshaved body. (he wouldnt mind if i shaved once in awhile though) just wanted to introduce myself real quick, subbing, and more later!

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Ok, this thing just keeps popping up on the main page so now I have to post!

I can't officially join you all, but I wanted to let you know I'm a member in spirit

I've come full-circle in almost every aspect of my thinking and this is a facet of that.
I hate the standards that our society has imposed on women, and I don't want my DD growing up thinking that women having body hair is unnatural!

DH would have a fit if he knew I was posting here
:

We've gotten in a couple of 'what if' discussions and he said he would divorce me if I stopped shaving

He was mostly kidding, but obviously he has very strong feelings on this issue!

I actually did stop shaving my legs for about a month without him noticing too much, but then one night he made a comment on how nice I was to get him a wool blanket to sleep with
:

Oh, and a while ago I stopped shaving my armpits for a week or two and DS loved to stroke it while he was nursing to sleep

Anyway, yeah, not really sure why I felt the need to actually post here, but there you have it....you have a jealous lurking admirer
:

to all of you Mamas, you're great!

·
Registered
134 Posts
FairyLotus............One again you have out done your self
lovin' the hair is a state ao mind

Peace.............Congrats mama

AshleyLesh.............
Mama
HippieMom2.............Lovin' you and Dh's story my dh feels the same way. It is so great to know that your man loves your Naturalness

·
Registered
436 Posts
thanks for the welcome, natty! love your pics...
so in response to the earlier discussion about whether you dare to bare the hair at a job inter., i always hid it. but now, if i were to go to one in the heat and i wanted to wear a tank top, i would. in theory, anyway. the other reason i tended to wear long sleeves to interviews was because i have tats on my wrists. i always felt people in the position to employ frown on that and if i needed to wageslave i had to slightly conform, at least for the few minutes of the interview!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Welcome New Mamas!

On going sleeveless to a job interview~ I don't think I ever have. I tend to appear very decieving at interviews. I usually doll up real nice in fancy slacks and a preppish shirt. Sometimes I'll even go so far as to brush my hair!
But, watch out... once I land the position, my first day on the job I bear it all.
My employers are left scratchling their heads and wondering who this "dirty hairy hippie" is they hired!
: Nah, the change is usually a little more gradual then that. Depending on the job and the dress requirements I'll give it a few weeks until they know that I'm a good worker and can't legally fire me for no good reason (like having goddess~given body hair
) then I break out the piercings, pit hair and tatty exposing shirts and my comfy tie~dye yoga pants!
They get used to it. Eventually...

·
Registered
519 Posts
WELCOME AUTUMNMOM!!!!!!!!!!

I need to start documenting the last "shave date" of the summer season. I keep looking at my legs . . . razor in hand . . . and say NAHHHHHHHHHH

Pits? still shave 'em. One step at a time you know!!!!

1 - 20 of 125 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.