Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I interviewed for and was offered a job today. It was a series of three interviews, all of which took place today right after each other. The final interview ended very abruptly with the manager just saying that I was hired and to go get my paperwork (drug test, background check). I was surprised and a little put off by her attitude as everyone else had been practically giddy at my experience in the field so I forgot to ask her the salary. I figured I'd have an opportunity later but I was then led into a room full of people where a woman gave me my paperwork said she'd call with the salary when she got the results of the drug test. I'm not very experienced with interviews (I've interviewed for a job three times in my entire life) and I made the mistake of agreeing to that and leaving.<br><br>
She called me a few hours later to inform me that I'd passed (of course) and I had the job. I'm supposed to go to orientation on Monday. However, the amount that she said was almost half the salary I was expecting. The average salary for this position in my state is double what she is offering me.<br><br>
On Monday I want to show up early and talk about the pay rate before orientation. However, as you can see, I am not used to negotiating my pay, this will be the first time. I realize that I've already messed up by accepting the job with that pay rate. How can I fix this? The pay is so low that someone I know works in a sister company in a low level, no experience needed position and he makes what I have been offered to be a manager. I was very excited about the job but now I'm wondering if I should just look for something else. Any experience with this? How should I handle the talk on Monday? Your help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think sorting out how you feel about the job will help you decide how you want to handle it.<br><br>
Are you prepared to walk away if they don't change their offer? Or don't offer a competitive salary? How will they see/treat you if you take this job at such a low wage?<br><br>
I think that once you are comfortable with your answers to the above questions, you'll be able to be calm(er) when you speak with them.<br><br>
As for beginning the conversation, you could say something like:<br><br>
I'm sorry things went so quickly on Friday, we didn't get to discuss the salary for this position...<br><br><br>
And, if you decide that this will not work for you, you've got some valuable interview and negotiation experience for the next time.

·
Registered
982 Posts
If the offer was that low, don't expect to negotiate your way up to average, and be prepared to walk away. I'd be concerned about the place, too -- a smart hiring crew will see an experienced person interviewing for an entry-level-or-less salary, and ask why they want to work for so little money.<br><br>
If it's a state job, btw, yes, the salary will be lower than average.<br><br>
Find out if there's a pay scale for your position and see what middle and top are, then negotiate there. But yes, be prepared to walk.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your responses. Since I posted I found out that my brother knows someone who worked for the same company and he asked her what the average pay is for the position I've been offered. She told him that I should have been offered two or three dollars more than what I was offered. My brother and I talked numbers and he said in his company no one is making the "average" for their job. I got the number from googling and apparently it was overestimating. However, there is still a few dollar gap.<br><br>
I'm going to go in early on Monday and talk about the salary with them and counter offer. With my experience I can easily get another job elsewhere, this one just had the schedule that I wanted available. Hopefully, they'll come around. If not, there are other jobs.<br><br>
Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
After reading your first post, I was going to ask how you came up with the "average" salary for your field. My next statement was going to be, if you found it on the internet, on one of those "salary" websites, it's probably <i>way</i> high. Seriously, my coworkers (at three different places of employment) have always laughed at those numbers because none of us have ever met anyone that made anywhere near the "average" for our job position, let alone above it. We have no idea how they calculate those figures, but they just don't seem right.<br><br>
Now, if you had gotten that number because that was your previous salary, or you know someone in the field with the same experience who makes that, well that's a different story.<br><br>
I think you've got the right approach. Definitely bring it up and try to negotiate a bit higher. And as always, you're not locked into anything. If you can't come up with an agreement, then turn down the job and find one elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Yes, never ever use the data on salary web-sites to base reality on. The data is not valid nor reliable. I only have two survey's that I rely on for accurate data in my area and they are not available to the general public. We do share market info with employees in our org if they ask but folks rarely ask....and its a very carefully scripted conversation as you really have to explain several facets of compensation in the process. It's not as simple as "accountants make $X".<br><br>
The way the moved you through the hiring process was odd, imo. What kind of job is it?

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I wasn't able to negotiate for higher pay. Apparently when I applied I put down that my expected pay rate was a few dollars less than what they ended up giving me. I'm not too bothered anymore because my brother told me that with this company, because the company is much bigger than the one I worked for previously, they start at a lower rate during the probationary period and then when that is up you can easily negotiate a higher salary. So in a few months I'm just going to ask for what I want to earn. I'm still making pretty good money for my position, just not what I expected from that website. I was severely unpaid at my old job as the whole company underpays from the lowest levels on up (lowest barely makes more than minimum wage) which is why I had to look up the "average" pay for my position.<br><br>
UmmBnB, it is retail management. It is a third shift position so it is harder to fill, hence all the interviews taking place in one day. They wanted the person hired to start as soon as possible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts