Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As my 4 year old dd and I drove down the road, she said, "Mom, look - a clown!" There on the corner, near the Halloween Adventure store, was a Bozo looking clown complete with wig, big shoes, and...a scary zombie mask! He turned around to face us just as we were driving by. My poor little girl got so scared.

I purposely avoid walking by stores like Spencer's and Hot Topic, especially at this time of year, but now I have to duck these scary masks on the street!
:

So of course, at bedtime, she starts saying that the clown is going to visit her once we leave the room. It took me 10 minutes to explain that monster spray DOES work on scary clowns.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I feel for you. Walmart has a huge bloody zombie like inflatable creature up right by their front door. Parents can't avoid it with their children if they shop there. I don't get it, they could atleast put it in the halloween section.

Hope your dd forgets about it soon!

·
Registered
863 Posts
poor DD
: i hope it doesn't bother her long!
i would definetly complain to the store that had the clown out front on the street (i'm assuming it was part of an ad thing
: ) and definetly complain to walmart about not being able to avoid it if coming into the store

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
We drove by a garage sale last year where they had a life-sized dancing skeleton. Poor dd became hysterical. I had to drive away without stopping (even though they looked like they might have pants that ds could wear!) because she was too freaked out.

She's also freaked out by nutcrackers, ghosts and clowns.

It's going to be a long time until after Christmas.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Yikes! I'm scared just thinking about that. Clowns are just awful to begin with but throw in a zombie mask and that's horrific!

Sorr you had to deal with that, hope it passes.

Is it just me that finds the idea of a whole Halloween store really freaky?

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Maybe it would help if you found a non scary mask and left it sitting around for dc to explore, just to help with the concept of masks having normal people under them. I wouldn't go so far as to actually put the non scary mask on anyone without dc seeming really ok with it, though. My brother was once freaked out by someone in a ski mask. The person was kind enough to take it off to demonstrate he had a face.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I'm so sorry!

That would have scared me, I hate clowns.

My son, on the other hand, is LOVING all of this scary halloween stuff and had a blast at the local halloween store with all of the scary figures that move, etc. Blech.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think this would depend a lot on the kid, but...

Something similar happened to us a couple of years ago when we were walking through the mall - my then 3yo DS was really upset when he saw a man in a big gorilla suit. We walked up, asked the man to take off the mask, and showed DS that it was just a man playing dress up... after a minute, DS wanted to try it on himself and I pretended I was scared - he took great pleasure in showing me (again and again and AGAIN
: ) that it was HIM under the mask, Mommy!!

I wouldn't try it with the scary clown mask, but maybe something non-threatening... and it would depend on the kid. If we tried that with my 4 yo DD, having to walk up to the man would have made it WAY worse...

I'm sorry you had to go through that. Stores should be more responsible about what is visible to passers-by... Halloween is particularly bad for that. I pointed out to my DH that the same mall which allows bloody severed heads, goulish vampires and various other terrifying (to a 3 yo) objects to be displayed in the aisles, frowns upon breastfeeding, other than in the breastfeeding room (which is a cave-like, filthy hole in the wall)... wouldn't want to scare anyone now, would we??
:

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I'm sorry this happened to you.

Don't know if this will help or not -- here's what I've done with my 2 little ones.

We go to the local pharmacy and walk over to the masks. We roar at them. I've explained that monsters are frightened of children, so just roar at them and they'll be too afraid to attack.

My little 2.5 year old is so cute roaring at the masks and displays! My oldest did the same thing when she was 2 (and she continues to do it now, simply because it's an excuse to make a lot of noise
).

That tactic has worked for both my kids, they are no longer afraid of displays, masks, etc.

ETA: yes, we get a lot of looks, but oh well.

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
We went into our local Walgreens and they had these animated skulls right where the carts were. Dd was scared (she's scared of her own shadow some days so talking skulls weren't going to just be ignored). Then as we were shopping she was looking at the cute Halloween stuff and starting to calm down and right above the registers was this huge zombie-ish thing hanging from the ceiling. There was no way to escape it. People forget that little kids can't always separate reality from fantasy especially when they use realistic scary things.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.