Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, what are you planning to give out for Halloween this year? We just started passing out treats 2 years ago when our oldest daughter became interested. The first year we passed out pencils and mini pretzels. Last year it was small tubs of play-doh. I don't know what to pass this year.....any suggestions? What are some of the creative, fun things you've given to your trick or treaters??

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
We do give out candy, but we give out other things also. My dh collects comics and sometimes he gets packages of promotional comics for free or cheap (I just realized I'm not 100% sure where he gets these
) and we give those out. We also go to fast food places where they give cheesy little toys with kid's meals and 90% of the time my daughter does not want the toy so we leave it wrapped and save them throughout the year to give out at Halloween.

People in our neighborhood have given out the mini-tubs of PlayDoh and small boxes of crayons. Halloween stickers are also popular.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Candy, lots and lots of candy.
We are expats in the UK and we always get halloween candy from the US so we're always passing out something "unusual". My mother is coming on Halloween this year and she's bringing the goodies.
It's also acceptable here to pass out homemade stuff so we'll probably make caramel apples as well.

Hey, it's halloween, you are meant to eat candy until you are sick!

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hannahsmummy View Post
We are expats in the UK and we always get halloween candy from the US so we're always passing out something "unusual".
How funny! I'm always on the lookout for UK candy -- a nice Aero bar would sure hit the spot right about now!
Hmm, I wonder if they sell snack-sized ones for Halloween -- those'd be fun to hand out!

·
Registered
643 Posts
I'm giving out a little container of Play Doh (Costco) and small box of Smarties to the younger kids and chocolate and chips for the older kids.
We average about 100 kids each year....Halloween is so fun, we can't wait!!!!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by limabean View Post
How funny! I'm always on the lookout for UK candy -- a nice Aero bar would sure hit the spot right about now!
Hmm, I wonder if they sell snack-sized ones for Halloween -- those'd be fun to hand out!
It NEVER occured to me that Aero bars were special
and yes you can get snack sized ones all year round here!

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Mini packs of bubbles
glow sticks or glow necklaces
mini flashlights
stickers

if you're looking for cheap -- check out the goodies on oriental trading.com

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
I have nothing against candy but this year we are giving out mini bubbles, pencils, and pumpkin erasers. I got them at Target and the prices were comparable to Oriental Trading Company w/o the shipping. Ds, 6 yo, would like getting tattoos, fwiw.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Quote:

If you ever want to do a trade just pm me.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
This is a pretty dead street - a few years ago we bought full sized candy bars to hand out, and got about 10 trick or treaters all night. Ah, well, more for me!

This year we're handing out party favor toys - gliders, jacks, bubbles, etc. that I've picked up over the past few months. When we take off to trick or treat, I'm setting out a Martha Stewart pumpkin with tootsie roll pops.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
My kids are very sensitive to sugar.. well the boys are at least lol.. DD can handle it fine.. so we dont give out candy so that whatever is left they can have... we do little single serve bags of pretzels.. found em at Sams in a BIG bucket thing

·
Registered
488 Posts
The last few years we have done the little bags of popcorn. I am seriously considering stickers or something like that this year because last Halloween my mind woke up that night an realized how much a choking hazard for little kids popcorn was.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Reese's Peanut Butter Cups!!!!
I figure it's once a year and the rest of the time in our household my husband affectionately refers to me as the snack Nazi.

This year we have a Halloween dilemma of a different kind, in that both my husband and I want to take our dd out trick-or-treating, yet we'd like to give out the good stuff, too. There is no way I could ever leave a bowl of candy out on the front steps and hope people will use the honor system. It just wouldn't happen in this neighborhood (we've had packages stolen -- even a bucket and mop we'd put out to dry
. I guess I could leave our bowl of goodies with the next-door-neighbor and ask them to dole our stuff out, too. Yeah, that'll work. Never mind, dilemma solved.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
We do Candy. We did the bags up the other day. They're sugar candies this year, though I'll probably buy some chocolate pumpkin balls to go in too. I did buy 2 boxes of chocolate bars to go in, but we seemed to have eaten those.

Quote:

Canada has the same candy the UK does. We have mini aero bars, they come in the boxes with Smarties(chocolate, not the stuff in the US), Kit Kats & Coffee Crisps, or you can buy bags of just the small ones.

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
I did buy 2 boxes of chocolate bars to go in, but we seemed to have eaten those.
Yeah, I already bought some Halloween candy this year too, but ... uh ... they seem to have gone missing somehow.

Quote:
Canada has the same candy the UK does. We have mini aero bars, they come in the boxes with Smarties(chocolate, not the stuff in the US), Kit Kats & Coffee Crisps, or you can buy bags of just the small ones.
Mmm, I'm so jealous! I think it's time for me to make a run to the British goods store a few towns over.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFmom View Post
Candy.

Honestly, I hate having my kids bring home cheap plastic crap and assorted trinkets way more than I dislike them bringing home too much candy.
Me too, at least I can eat the excess candy.
Ds won't let me get rid of those little trinkets though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.