Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you able to use your hand knit wool covers at night? I was using one of mine-all the time-and it worked great-but now her jammies are wet every morning. They have been lanolized a ton. I have been doing it weekly thinking that was the problem. Do I just need a more absorbant dipe? Or a better wool cover or both?

She is 10 months. For night time I use either-a bamboozle with a hemp doubler, a prefold with a fuzzy topped hemp doubler or if desperate a Mother-Ease one size with a hemp doubler. The dipes are sopping wet in the morning. I didn't have this problem with my oldest dd-but this one nurses all night long-my first one didn't.

Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
We use ours at night, but we need to either knit them at a very tight gauge, or felt them a bit. You can felt by hand-washing in hot water, and rubbing at the wool, especially in the backside, until it shrinks and mats just a tiny bit, but not enough to make the cover not fit anymore. I usually knit mine up on a tight gauge, a bit larger than I want, and then shrink them a little.

But even the best wool cover will not hold if there's not enough absorbency underneath; wetness has to go somewhere, if the diaper can't hold anymore. So you might start with that, and see if that solves the problem.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you!
I am now in search for a great absorbant dipe. I am thinking maybe Cricketts or Firefly from reading some reviews? Any experience with these? Or any other bulletproof dipe that someone can recommend?

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
You could also just fold prefolds inside the fitted diapers you already have, to add more absorbency. That's what we do-- we just layer up. The things they sell as doublers are often not enough extra for an older baby; a prefold makes a nice, cheap, heavy-duty doubler. Just fold it in thirds and stick it inside the fitted diaper, and put the wool over all of it. Baby will have a BIG bum, but no leaks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.