Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom was given a carseat by a friend of the family and I am wondering if it is safe to use. I don't yet know if it can be installed rearfacing, but will be looking tomorrow. It is an older Graco I believe, one of the ones that has the lap bar that comes down over the head. The harness only latches in between the legs. I will be looking up Ohio's carseat regs in a moment, but was wondering of anyone knew up front whether we should use this one or get a new one. I know that it's at least 5 years old. I don't know if it was bought new or from a second hand store.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
get a new one. overhead shield seats are not as safe as five point harnesses, and a lot of people argue that they are not safe period.<br><br>
you also never want to use a seat unless you know it's history. seats involved in any kind of accident should not be used.<br><br>
seats also expire, generaly 5-8 years after the date of manufacture. different companies have different timelines.

·
Banned
5,868 Posts
What the PP said. Graco seats expire after six years from date of manufacture. Other countries have outlawed overhead-shield carseats. As it stands, I would never borrow or use a carseat from someone who I didn't know had the exact same passion about carseat safety that I do. Definitely not an old, OHS from a friend of my mother's.

·
Banned
1,154 Posts
i know this carseats are only legal for 5 years after that they must be disgarded also if a carseat is in ANy kind of accident it should be disgarded i would not trust it and would get rid of it.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
I would have to disagree w/ them not being safe at all. They do still meet the same safety requirements as 5pt seats and are good in the case of maybe those w/ limited use of their hands or people who would otherwise not use a seat at all. In a normal case though, a 5pt harness is the best.

·
Registered
181 Posts
BUT you don't know the seat's complete history, the seat is old- perhaps expired, and you can get a new 5 pt from walmart for under 40 dollars if money is an issue, so why chance it?

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you need a good, inexpensive seat, check out the Cosco Scenera. It rear faces to 35 lbs and ff to 40 lbs. It's a great seat for only $40. It comes highly recommended on a car seat board I visit. With a great seat out there that only cost $40, I would stay away from a seat that is very likely expired and not as safe as a seat with a 5 pt harness. Just make sure you get the model with the 5 pt harness.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts