Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we're moving and the frames I have all my pictures up in now won't match the new place at all. Our walls here are a teracotta (sp?) color and we have black frames. the new place has white walls with eith light pine or oak crown molding and trim. (I'm not sure- didn't pay much attention)
I dont' want to spend the money buying a ton of frames again- so I was thinking of making my own. Cloth covered/beaded/something frames.
The blinds in teh room with be bamboo- a light color. I decorate almost entirely with pictures I've taken of the kids- so I thought ti would be cool to have more personalized frames and stuff to. am I fooling myself?

Any ideas or suggestions on making them? I have tons of mattes so I thought about using that as a base and covering them with a little padding and then cloth or something? That is about as far as I've thought on it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
One of my friends moved recently, had the same problem. She took all her old picture frames outside, (just the frame part) and cleaned them, and spray painted with the colors she wanted and did some with sponges and rags for effects, and they came out great!

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, that is a cool idea- I may try that. I'm not real familiar with painting at all- how do you give it sponge effects? What colors could I use without looking to dorky? Did she do them all the same or each one different?

·
Registered
520 Posts
She did various colors, based on bedroom themes, etc...nuetral creams, tans, some greens for a room with a sea mural, etc...

About the sponge effect, I'm not sure how she did it. Try typing in painting effects and techniques online and see what comes up.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Rainbow, I did paint some cheap-o frames from Walmart several years ago and have been pleased with the results. It was easy to sand them a bit (so the paint could grab better) and put a colorwash on them. I used the Tulip craft paint from any decent craft store and cut it way down with water.

http://www.porteous.us/misc/padda1.jpg
http://www.porteous.us/misc/padda2.jpg

In the first picture, the natural colored ones on the second and third rows were actually what they all started as. Picture number two is a closer version of how they turned out. REALLY easy...and way cheap. The metal leafing kits at Michaels are super easy to work with as well and come out beautifully. Have fun! Be creative!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.