Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to check before I order...I am thinking about making some knitted wool pants out of some of this and wondered how much I would need.

The pattern calls for 4oz for small and under and 8oz for medium and up (LTK pattern) so would 1 skein be enough for a small pair then and I'd need 2 skeins for medium? Anyone made a small pair with this pattern and used just one skein...looking for some reassurance that one is enough! :LOL

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I would also recommend two, because it would really stink to run out and have capris instead of long pants. I used almost two full skeins of their bulky wool for some smallish medium pants. You can always make a matching hat with the leftover, and you pay the same amount of shipping for one or two skeins.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
okay, i am certain that one would make a small and two is way more than enough for a medium (probably enough to also make a pair of booties or maybe even a hat). that being said, i am a chicken and can't stand the idea of running out of yarn, so i'd get two for a small. <<sigh>>

the gold pants in my siggy (last pic) were made from the worsted merino and they were quite large -- they were supposed to be a medium, but as usual, turned out way too big. i used just over one hank for them.

j.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Great colours. I agree with the other gals, get two skeins. And knit 4 rows using one skein and 4 rows with the other. Hand dyed yarns always have variations and this will help your project from looking like it was knit with one yarn on top and another on bottom (or front & back). Good luck. You can always knit a super easy cap to go with the pants with the left over yarn. After you get a gauge with the pants figure out how big around a baby's head is- then cast on that many stitches. Knit hat on the round with circular needles until hat is a cylinder about 4-5 inches long. Knit every 5th stitch together until you can't knit on the circular needles any more. Then transfer to double pointed needles and knit (decreasing every 5th stitch) until you've got 6 or 8 stitches left. Run yarn through the empty stitches and gather. Tie up securely and knot on the inside. This is a super easy project that uses a skein or less. I've made loads of knitted caps for friends and neighbours cheaply and quickly. Two short evenings' work. Good luck!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.