Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These aren't marketed as nursing bras, but my sister recently bought a few and realized that they unhook at the strap and can be used as nursing bras! At only $9.99, that's a great deal and I wanted to pass along the word. She got the underwire version (she's not currently breastfeeding) but they have a no-wire version too.

They don't sell my band size in these (30 or 32) but at such a great price I think I'm going to buy one and have the band altered by a tailor. Still will be much cheaper than having to order special ones online!

Just had to share, as I know it's difficult to find affordable nursing bras

· Registered
2,855 Posts
I'm a 32 as well - do you know if they fit tight or loose around the band? I'd be really interested in getting some of these if the 34s fit tighter.

· Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kalamos23 View Post
I'm a 32 as well - do you know if they fit tight or loose around the band? I'd be really interested in getting some of these if the 34s fit tighter.
Haven't tried one yet, but plan to do so soon. I will report back

· Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I realized that afterward, they don't have a very good size range. Right now, the two nursing bras I have are 32DD's (30's are impossible to find) but they're a little big since my milk supply leveled off. I'm thinking I'll see if a 34 B or C (equiv of a 32 C/D, or 30 D/DD) fits in the cup, then have the band altered.

· Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by limabean View Post
This must be the convertible strap one, right? In browsing the Hanes site, it looks like that's the only one that unhooks at the strap. Great tip -- thanks!

Ahhh, my sister didn't tell me she got the convertible strap one. Thanks for pointing that out for me and others!

· Registered
3,700 Posts
I get the Hanes low impact exercise bras with the gathered V. You simply push one side down and pull it up.

You can usually get a 2 pack for $8.00 at Walmart or Kmart.

They are cotton, supportive and comfortable. The cup size is one size fits all and they go at least as large as a 44. Sometimes you can find even larger sizes.

The worst thing you can say about them is the straps are a tad closer to the neck so they may have a tendency to peek outside the neckline of some shirts. And they do have the Hanes logo which might show through a light enough shirt but I've never had a problem with that.

When you can't find Hanes you can find a similar style, in a lesser known brand (can't remember the name but I think it has a B in it: something-Best or Best-something.

If nothing else it makes a great around the house bra.
~Cath

· Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's a good tip, CathMac! I do find that sports bras in general are great for nursing. My problem is finding a good nursing bra that actually gives my breasts a decent shape under shirts (since sports bras seem to flatten the girls out a bit). Of the two nursing bras I have, one has seamless stretchy cups and doesn't give a good shape at all, and the other one has a seamed 3-part cup construction which looks nice. I am wondering if the convertible Hanes has any sort of structure to it, to give a good shape.

· Registered
3,700 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SollysMom View Post
That's a good tip, CathMac! I do find that sports bras in general are great for nursing. My problem is finding a good nursing bra that actually gives my breasts a decent shape under shirts (since sports bras seem to flatten the girls out a bit). Of the two nursing bras I have, one has seamless stretchy cups and doesn't give a good shape at all, and the other one has a seamed 3-part cup construction which looks nice. I am wondering if the convertible Hanes has any sort of structure to it, to give a good shape.
SollysMom,
I think the V and gathering/ruching lends a little more definition and shape, that plus the fact that they are "low impact" so they don't bind quite as much as an even more supportive sports bra might.

But perhaps I'll try looking around for a slightly more structured version for a little more shape. The tradeoff might be that the cup won't slide down quite as easily or comfortably.

~Cath

· Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My experience is that in order to give a good shape, a bra either needs to have seamed cups (3-part construction) or, if seamless, a molded cup. I don't think the Hanes ones are molded, but if there is enough structure to them they might work. I'm hoping to go try one on today or tomorrow.

· Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tried one on and bought it today! It doesn't say on the tag that it's convertible, so you have to just look for the right one. I got a 34B and it fit my right breast okay but was a little small on the left. They didn't have a 34C so I just got the B anyway. I had last nursed on the right side so that's probably why the left one was bigger, plus I'm a little uneven anyway. Next stop is to the tailor to get the band made smaller.

The cups of the bra are really nice. Cottony, but slightly molded and give a good shape. The way the strap unhooks from the cup is a little weird - there's nothing holding it in front so it sort of falls back behind my shoulder. That might be a pain while NIP but considering how inexpensive it is, it's otherwise a great bra.

· Registered
81 Posts
What a deal! Stinks about the sizes though! I go from a 36D-F depending on how full of milk I am. I've been wearing a regular comfy sports bra that's super stretchy and it's great because I can just lift it up form the bottom or pull it down from the top. Very versatile, and I got it on a Target sales rack years ago.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.