Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!

I have a sweet little 3 month old daughter to match my sweet little 3 year old daughter. The 3-year-old is a WONDERFUL sister and gets very upset when she gets something and her baby sister does not. It's sweet, and honestly, I encourage it -- I like that she wants to share with the baby.

However...Hannukah is coming, and that means 8 nights of presents. We give small things, but there are definitely 8 of them. Examples for DD1 would be pajamas, things for her dollhouse, books, etc., and then the last night's gift is usually an experience (this year it's a tot gymnastics class; last year it was swimming lessons). Their grandmother will also likely do 8 presents, similar size (although we wish she wouldn't).

Now what do I do about the baby? We have a rubbermaid tub in our basement full of baby toys from DD1. Ditto the clothes -- we might need a few things, but not much. What on EARTH do I get for DD2? I'd be fine getting her nothing (that's what we got for DD1 her first Hannukah; we just put $ in the bank for college), but DD1 would throw a fit if she got presents and her sister didn't.

Any ideas for SMALL, useful things I could get her? All I can think of so far is a bowl & spoon for when she starts solids in the spring, and a knitted hat for winter. I did order her a Miss Piggy onesie to match the Miss Piggy t-shirt that DD1 is getting (we are currently Muppet-obsessed). Thoughts?

TIA!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Board books? I bet a lot of my daughter's books are going to be "used up" by the time a second comes along...

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Baby toiletries-shampoo, lotion, rash cream
cloth diapers
socks-these never seemed to turn up with our older daughter's baby clothes
a couple of toys/clothes that are new to her might be nice, plus I discovered that in just 3 years lots of new toys came out in the stores that I like
bibs, assuming your old ones are most likely stained
a frame for a picture of her or a small flip book you can put pictures in

We're in the same boat, plus our baby's first birthday is 12/21, and I know she'll get a ton of presents!

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Socks? It seems to me that they outgrow these pretty quickly- not to mention the ones that get eaten by the dryer. (Cross-posted! LOL Great minds, eh, Lousli?) What about a cd with some nice lullabys or children's music?

·
Registered
814 Posts
I've found thinking about making gifts last for the next year to be helpful with my DD. So a couple of her birthday presents last month got unwrapped and put in a closet for several months. I figure it's kind of like unwrapping it twice!

So, what might she need by 15 months? Teether toys, a shape sorter, blocks, fancy tights for dresses, a toy drum or piano. You know - toddler things.

The only thing I don't usually do this way is clothes, unless it's something totally non-seasonal, because it's so hard to guess what size they'll be wearing six months from now.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
I think that you can explain to dd1 that you put $ in the bank for her, and take her w/you to the bank to either start such an acc't for dd2 or allow her to help get the money in there. And I think a lot of the stuff mentioned, like socks (I LOVE the Under the Nile thick socks), a new pr. of Robeez or SSS booties - which weren't on the market 3 yrs. ago (they ROCK sister - go check them out at http://www.softstarshoes.com/index.c...TOKEN=75303672 and http://www.robeez.com/en-us/producti...t=2&Lang=EN-US ) or some new books for the bookshelf are good.

Hrmmm. Well, consider that you got off easy, mama. I married a non-jewish fella, and his family does x-mas; so we did 8 nights of chanukah and then the stockings and gifts under the tree thing. Geesh. Not as of this year, though. this year chanukah is all about latkes, candles (which are just as good as gifts imo), and such. We'll open a couple of bigger gifts on solstice, and x-mas will be the stockings but NOTHING bigger than a pair of socks (the deal is, santa comes and fills the stockings and then HIDES them somewhere. However hard it is to find them is how naughty santa thought you were. so far she's been a pretty good kid

Have a GREAT holiday season w/both your babes. andy

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
If she goes for the bank explaination- you're good. If she doesn't, I would get small, inexpensive things that you might get at some point anyway.

Book
Birthday candle in the shape of a 1 for her birthday next yr.
Bubbles
Sippy cup
Onsie
Teething toy
Recycled old toy from your stash
Recycled frame with a picture of the two sisters together

·
Registered
196 Posts
You could get them coordinating things. I.e.
Day One: pjs for dd1, a onesie or sleeper for dd2
Day Two: dollhouse dolls for dd1, a knotty doll for dd2
Day Three: a hat for each
Day Four:bubble bath for dd1, baby shampoo for dd2
Day Five: fun socks for each
Day Six: crayons and color sheet for dd1, colorful plastic teether for dd2
Day Seven: fun underwear for dd1, new diaper for dd2
Day Eight: lessons for dd1, a pretty certificate with about putting money in bank for college for dd2

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.