Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, we had a nice low key thanksgiving, and DS started his new preschool today. drop off went very well, I'm hopeful & excited for him. he was wakeful all morning from 5 am on, and I finally blew him off & refused to keep going in. he fell back to sleep & I had to wake him at 7:45 and we had to leave at 8:15!!! can't believe we pulled it off.

I have had a weird time with a Very Late Menstrual Period (still waiting, going on week 3.) am NOT pregnant, even though there was no way, I ended up taking (my first ever other than in gyn's office in 04) home pregnancy test. so, menopause? would explain many of my stressful symptoms/problems. did you know there is such a thing as a "cold flash"?? instead of a hot flash!
hope to catch up with the only other older mama I know & compare notes.

trying to get organized for hosting a cookie exchange. I hate hate hate afternoon playdates, but my playgroup has kids in preschool on different schedules & afternoons are only thing that would work. luckily since I'm hosting, no travel time for us, yay.

we're doing one big thing for holiday, Santa train at local kids museum, went last year & it was magical. DS's great aunt is getting him the special present he wants & I already picked up a wooden tool bench at half off from another museum gift shop, and have his stocking presents done. DH & I only doing stockings for each other, and I don't think we're doing photo cards.

what are you looking forward to this time of year?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Hi everyone - I can't believe that it's December already, thanks Lisa, as always, for starting up the thread - the menopause - don't know much about it really, there might be something in a thread here about that where you could ask questions
, the cookie exchange sounds like fun - I'm sure you'll have a great time!!

I had a great weekend and was at a LLL seminar on Sat and Sun, home at night time though - it's the first time in 6 years that I've been away from the kids for so long!!! Well apart from when Kian was born I guess!?! Anyway that was such a disaster we won't go over all that! What a great time and so interesting and informative and enriching - wow it was great!!

Not really planning to do too much for christmas we'll try and go and see the lights - it's just getting organised with all the cold, for pressies we're keeping it down this year, the kids are getting bean bags which I made a while back but we just need to buy the beans that go in them, then a couple of small things plus their stockings and that's it really. We'll have a nice meal and bake some shortbread together and make some decorations too, I got some christmassy red and green felt to make things with.

The kids are getting tired what with the weather and all, and I'm just loving my husband at the moment, he looked after the kids all weekend so I could go to the seminar and although he got take-away in and didn't hang up the washing - it didn't really matter for some reason, I'm just loving him
:he's being such a sweety and really supportive in my choices.

The parenting workshops have been really successful with really great feedback so I'm planning to set up another group of workshops for the spring.

The kids are being great playing with each other, no fighting (or hardly any really), hugs and cuddles all around - I'm enjoying it at the moment but wondering if this is really it - is this it, when we get the parenting thing right? OMG I love Faber Mazlish!!! I sort of think that it can't last, but they surprise me at every turn at the moment
Or maybe I should keep my mouth shut until the holidays are over!! We have the odd moment with a little bit of lip thrown in, but when I correct them or say that I prefer hearing whatever said in this manner they do it and it's over - what a relief - ha ha, I'm still reading Siblings Without Rivalry - I reckon it's going to come in handy anyway. Anyway enough bragging from me

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Lisa: Thanks for starting the December thread
Like Ewe said the cookie exchange sounds interesting. They had a cookie dough fundraiser during the year and as yummy as it sounded I didn't buy any because there weren't any gluten free dough for DS. I'm not a big cookie fan and plus it was a bit on the exxy side for something we wouldn't normally eat (something like $20-$25 for a big tub). I have finished our present shopping with regards to the kids. I bought bits and pieces for DS during the year. DD doesn't have as much as what DS has but at this age she's not going to notice. I still have to get something for DH though, we agreed something inexpensive for each other (for the kids to see us exchange gifts).

Ewe: That is great that your DH has helped you by looking after the kids. I had a bit of a giggle about the takeaway and washing ... my DH isn't good at multi-tasking either and when he looks after the kids, nothing else happens. One time I came back from grocery shopping and he had FORGOTTEN to feed DD and couldn't understand why she was upset
I'm envious that your children play well together. You must be doing something right
DS is still taking toys or anything that DD has in her hands purely because he wants to take it off her. Sometimes she cries, sometimes she doesn't. I do tell him that it isn't nice to take things off her and ask if he likes it when the other kids at playgroup do it to him. He says no but forgets the next time and does it again. One day his sister is going to get big enough to stand up to him or try to at least and he'll be surprised.

We have really exciting news. For almost a week now DS has been wearing big boy undies and has only had 1 accident (we were over at my parents at the time). All poops and wee go into the toilet. The really exciting thing is that he now seems to understand when he needs to go because he goes running to the toilet because he needs to "go poop". So the extra washing of his training pullups no longer exists and its funny to scrounge around for stuff to wash with the cloth nappies (to fill up the washing machine)

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Thanks Lisa for opening the monthly thread.
Cookie exchange sounds fun.

Ewe - I love to read how your kids are playing togheter and enjoying eachother.
:

cherubess - Yay for DS!!!

DD2 is revisiting "separation anxiety" - cries when DH goes to work, asks us not to leave during the night with tears in her eyes, wants to be in the same room during the day... Hard to be waken up (around 5) every morning by tears and pleas to not leave her *alone*... I have to admit that I have some trouble remaining calm in that situation: it's too early, go back to sleep!!!

I'm doing the Specific Carbohydate Diet and my body seems to like it.
Waiting for books to expand my menu.
:

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Wow can't believe we are "childhood years."

Just subbing in, I'll try to come back later

·
Premium Member
5,084 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pellifoli View Post
I have had a weird time with a Very Late Menstrual Period (still waiting, going on week 3.) am NOT pregnant, even though there was no way, I ended up taking (my first ever other than in gyn's office in 04) home pregnancy test. so, menopause? would explain many of my stressful symptoms/problems. did you know there is such a thing as a "cold flash"?? instead of a hot flash!
hope to catch up with the only other older mama I know & compare notes.

I'm only 35 (be 36 next month) but for the past few months have had the wonkiest periods, finally went to see my HCP who confirmed that due to getting older I am having hormonal shifts. I get backaches, headaches, and other things I have nenver had before so maybe not officially perimenopausal but clearly heading that way. Actually I do get chills now before my cycle starts, maybe its a cold flash. My periods are timely but shorter now. Ugh...getting old is not fun.

More later...

Shay

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
So. Tired. I don't know what is going on, but Sophie's burping is even worse. She is taking 15-30 min naps and up every hour at night
. DH and I are walking zombies. I don't know what to do. I talked to homeopath yesterday and we tried something new as of yesterday evening, and last night and today are even worse
. I'm really at my wit's end. Plus she fell out of her hammock twice yesterday (has been pulling to a sit in it for a while, but hadn't fallen out yet), so now I don't feel it's safe to put her in it. So on top of everything else, I'm trying to get her to nap in the crib. She spent all of last night sleeping on either me or dh (what little sleeping occurred).
:

As for xmas, I am getting dd1 a kiddie digital camera, and maybe some finger puppets. DH works for an auto supplier, and we are terrified he is going to lose his job. He has survived 3 rounds of layoffs so far, but if one of the car companies goes under, his company probably will too. And because of some idiot at his work, they supply parts almost exclusively for trucks, and we all know what is happening to the truck market these days. The really distressing thing is if he loses his job we will have to leave the state to find work. There are simply no jobs here. And we will probably have to foreclose on our house or do a short sale. We have $70,000 in equity in our home that we will have to walk away from, not to mention what it will do to our credit. The whole thing is just making me sick. I prefer not to think about it too much, as there's nothing I can do about it at the moment. We just have to sit and wait and hope things work out somehow.

Sorry so gloomy, but I've got to run. DD1 is in the bath, and Sophie is now crying in the crib, sigh.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Shana - I'm sorry that things are hard for you at the moment especially with your dh's job situation, my dh is contracted out to an american computer company and it's not looking good either certainly no payrise or bonus this year and they are thinking of getting rid of one of them - they are a team of 3 working exclusively in France and although dh was the first in of all of them - it won't take long if things start to get difficult
. Hope Sophie's nights get easier for you - do you go to any LLL meetings - a little support from some bfing moms may just take the edge off.

Shay - no getting older is not fun at all!! I have been noticing changes too, I'm 38 and things are changing I can feel it, don't think I'll ever have my 3rd child - anyway it's not easy sometimes - I concur.

Val - you're sounding cheerier - yeah the kids are great together - I pleased you're sorting things out with your diet and it's working - that must be a relief - I must look it up and see what it's about.

Ange - well done to ds about the potty sounds as if it's been a real breakthrough - well done to the both of you. Yeah, well you know when freya was wee and about 18ms or so I wasn't that used to feeding her solid food I often forgot to feed her too
, at least she was an avid nurser!! i can sort of get the forgetting to feed
- goodness did I admit to that
lol, dh is just to wonderful at the moment, goodness it feels like first love all over again
- don't know what's got into us, I wonder if its that too that's helping the kids work so well together?
:

Lisa - there were some fun sounding recipes on http://allrecipes.com which made me think of you - you may want to check it out.

Been in Kian's school to help with the little christmas concert they'll be doing on the 16th - last year was a disaster and I felt sorry for the teachers and the kids so I suggested that I help them, seeing as I've sung in so many choirs and all the music I used to do before the kids came along!! it's good fun but 3/4 years are not that easy to organise - but we're doing ok!!

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Things are still going terrible with Sophie. My homeopath / healer has been of no help
. I'm taking her for CST on Thursday. I'm desperate ... desperate! Whatever the heck is going on, I hope it goes away soon.

In the meantime, here's a funny: dd1 calls her farts "air poops"

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
A really quick update ...

Sophie is doing better overall, but I fear she has gotten used to co-sleeping and now her naps aren't going so well (unless one of us is sleeping with her).

Our trip to NC was ... well ... difficult. DD1 came down with the flu on the second day and then Sophie got it and then I did (right after we got home, so thankfully not while we were traveling). Needless to say, between that and being in a foreign environment, there was not a lot of sleeping going on. I think on my best night I got 4 hours. But we survived somehow and I'm still glad we went. I enjoyed seeing my grandfather and aunt.

So we are home now and still recovering. Still not quite well and all still severely sleep deprived. DD1 still isn't sleeping great due to her stuffy nose, so she is so so so so so tired. I tried to get her to nap a few times but it's useless. Let's just say there are a lot of screaming meltdowns these days. I can't wait until her nose clears up so she sleeps better and longer at night and hopefully makes up some sleep.

The news of the loans for the auto industry yesterday was very welcome. I know we aren't in the clear, as there will still be a lot of downsizing, but I'm at least mildly hopeful that dh will retain his job and we won't have to pull up stakes and move and lose all the equity in our home, leave our friends, etc.

And here is a funny ... I dropped dh and dd1 at the library today while I took Sophie to the grocery store for shopping. When I called dh to tell him I was on my way to pick them up he said they had just finished a snack and hadn't even looked at books yet, so I decided to run another errand. A few minutes later he called back and was suddenly in a big hurry for me to come pick them up, although he wouldn't tell me why. Wellllll, come to find out that dd1 had a little accident. No, scratch that - make it a BIG accident. Her underwear and pants were soaked, even one of her shoes was sopping wet
. And he had nothing to put her in! I've got to give him some serious credit for how he handled things. He bundled her wet clothes with paper towel and shoved them in a bag he had. Then he took her shirt off and put her legs through the sleeves (oh my, I'm cracking up as I type this
), took her mittens off (which were on a string) and tied them around her waist in the hopes of holding her shirt (now pants) up, and then zipped up her winter coat, as she was now shirtless
. Oh my, what a mess!!! But I thought his solution was very clever and am not sure I would have done as well in his shoes
. At least he wasn't carrying a half-naked toddler out to the car (in 20 degree weather!).

I am trying to get in the Christmas spirit, but am so tired it's hard. We don't even have a tree up yet
. For dd1 I bought a kid's digital camera, a sled, am going to get some finger puppets at Ikea, and I think I got something else but I can't remember what it is. For Sophie we are just going to wrap up some of dd1's old toys. DH's brother asked what to get for dd1 and I'm hoping he will get these tieramids ... they look SO cool. They're expensive, so we told him we would help pay for them if he wants. I think she is a tiny bit too young for them, but will enjoy playing with the blocks and will get more into copying the pictures as she gets older. And who knows, she might surprise us! She makes really cool things with her blocks right now, like airplanes (and does a good job!), so we'll just have to see.

Well, Sophie is pulling the computer apart and it's time to cook dinner. I hope everyone is well!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Wow - the thread is scarce this month. Just taking a break from cleaning up after our family Christmukkah party (combined christmas and hanukkah).
Happy Holidays to those of you celebrating!
We just found out it will be our last holiday in this house as we are closing on a new house on Tuesday! It has been a stressful back and forth with our mortgage company and the bank and a lot of drama - So, needless to say we have been busy and now need to get in gear with packing and moving in the next few weeks.
Miss you all though and look forward to hearing more about how things are going.

Ewe - so great to hear that Kian and Freya are getting along so well. I hope that Sam and Rosie can follow their example as they grow. How was Kian's school concert?

Ange, yay for DS and the potty!

Valerie, good luck coping with a new bout of separation anxiety.

Lisa - hope you feel back to normal soon, hard to believe menopause and all the hormonal shifts are now happening so early.

Shay and Rachel - hope you both are well.

Shana - hope you had a great day - and are feeling better. We'll have to get our girls together for a photo shoot soon!

New update on my blog for December. We had a great trip to see my family in FL at the beginning of the month. We had a nice christmas, Rosie got the tea set she wanted, and some new wooden dishes for her play kitchen, and Sammy got a train set. They both got a bunch of other little stuff too - I went overboard and didn't realize it as I have been accumulating little treats for months now. But everyone is happy and we are all off to bed now.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Chels, I'm so excited to see your new house, and really happy that you will be closer to me!
:

We had a pretty nice Christmas, although dd1 spent much of the day yelling that dd2 was touching her toys
. BIL did get dd1 the tieramids and they are waaay cool, although many of the designs are too complex for dd1. I expected that, though, and feel that it just means she'll get many years of enjoyment out of them.

I remembered the other thing I got for her ... a Mr. Potato Head. She played with one at a friend's house and really liked it, and I found one on craigslist for $3 (!) so I bought it. She has been enjoying that.

Well, I am beat. Feeling really run down the last few days ... I think the lack of sleep is catching up with me. I'm going to eat a quick bite and head to bed. Happy Holidays!!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey people, I guess I forgot to subscribe again!

we had a nice quiet holiday, but then it's been so quiet I've been lonely for some friends and activities. DH & I not connecting well. Glad to catch up on the posts. and think I just have post-holiday blahs already.

am feeling a little blah too, as another mom friend who I don't see enough of, announced pregnancy w/#2 in her holiday card. A lot of moms I know have had/about to have 2nd, and it feels odd. I'm sad at not being able to join that group in some ways, but honestly relieved to only deal w/one.

cookie exchange went well, except I noticed another mom mentioning her son throwing up on a social networking site, and emailed her assuming that they weren't coming (on purpose as I know in past she's claimed son not sick at another party when he had been throwing up & just thrown up in car on way to party. felt weird doing it that way, but REALLY didn't want to deal w/puke over the holidays as we are all run down.) she emailed that oh he's better today (less than 24 hrs) but she'd respect my decision if I didn't want to risk it, and when I didn't want to risk it she was all snarky. so very uncomfortable about seeing her next but glad I said something even if it wasn't perfect. other people I know let each other know when kids are sick and let host decide. her kid was so tired from puking the whole day before that he slept all that afternoon anyways.

then we missed Santa train (which was Magical last year) because DS was feverish & gave himself a nap in the pm (!!!???!!!) so we decided best to not go. luckily we hadn't mentioned it or built it up much.

had fun on 25th, last year was awful w/ds ramped up & overstimulated, didn't eat, couldn't nap, he was a MESS. this year, he slept til 7:30am after DH went in w/him, bless him, and we had a leisurely morning, he stopped to eat when I suggested he do so & we had a really nice day. he loved his gifts, a Melissa & Doug castle that his great aunt gave as Santa, a wooden toolbench I got on sale at local museum for half off in October! and a doctor's kit (his preschool teacher gave me the heads up on that!)

speaking of preschool, they had their Winter Festival week before & it was nice. too loud for ds w/all parents & siblings there, he barely ate from potluck selections, but exchange of handmade ornaments/soap/cards was sweet & kids enjoyed so much. we're pleased w/switch to new school, I feel much more at ease.

Shana, glad things look better for your dh's job, and that you survived trip to NC, looks like it was good we didn't try to meet up! hope Sophie's doing better & that you've had some rest.

chelsea, great photos on your Dec update (and I'm not sure menopause/peri-men. is starting 'early' as I turn 45 next bday! yikes that sounds old.) congrats on new house & good luck w/move.

Valerie I was happy to see your post! glad diet agreeing w/you.

Shay, thanks for mentioning your experience w/pre-menstrual chills, I think that's part of mine!

Ewe, sorry to hear that you have worries re: dh's job, fingers crossed for you. and sorry about no payraise. dh heard that probably no bonus for him as well in spring. great about parenting workshops, wish you were around here!

Ange, great w/potty success!

Hi Rachel!

Hope you all had a lovely time with your families and traditions, and wishing you all the best as this year closes out. Here's to 2009 and health, prosperity & happiness for us all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.