Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I get hard necked garlic? The local greenhouse doesn't carry garlic sets in the fall. They said they only do spring garlic. I thought all garlic had to be planted in the fall?

Also, are you supposed to plant onion sets in the fall or spring? I want onion for next year.

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
I've heard fall, I've heard spring. I know the place I ordered my onion sets from ships them in fall though, I'm expecting them any day now.

To order garlic sets, I've been eyeing this place. They have a large selection.

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
If you want garlic the next year, you're supposed to plant by October or when it's cold out but the ground isn't frozen. I believe you want the garlic to pretty much stay dormant until the ground warms up again, then it grows so you can harvest in June/July. At least here in zone 5, according to my garlic guy.

Onions... If you start from seed, you can plant now or start the seeds indoors a few months before transplanting outside in the spring. If you start from sets (either tiny little bulbs or the ones that look like little green onions from the store) wait until spring.

Irish Eyes currently has garlic, as does Johnny's Seeds, and I think either the Seed Savers Exchange or Seeds of Change also sells garlic. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.