Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We live in the mountains and have hard water. We do have a water softener system that according to all the testing, fixes that problem.<br><br>
HELP! I still have dillemas though that must be hard water related:<br><br>
1) I have had to switch DS to disposables because the rash he got with cloth was HORRIBLE! He is rash free in sposies believe it or not. I tried everything...we used fuzzi bunz and cpf exclusively...baking soda rinse, hot wash with very very small amt. of detergent, hot baking soda rinse...vinegar at times to restore ph....nothing helped his ammonia rash...it was only in the peeing range of his skin and obviously a result of detergent mixing with urine....<br><br>
2) My scalp is so itchy...and flaky-yuk! I really think it is because it is hard to rinse the shampoo and it dries and causes irritation. I have long hair and washing it is a chore now! But then not washing it is no fun either-itch itch!<br><br>
YUcky i know but anyone have thoughts for me????

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
1) For the diapers and clothes-- I suspect it's either detergent build-up, or your dh is allergic to the detergent you are using to wash the dipes. Try this to strip the dipes of buildup:<br><br>
-- Turn your hot water heater up as high as it will go and wait for it to finish heating.<br>
-- put 2 doz. dipes in the washer and set on HOT wash/cold rinse.<br>
-- Add 1/2 cup liquid Calgon water softener (works much better than vinegar to strip diapers)<br>
-- watch the suds that are released during the hot wash! Allow the cycle to finish<br>
-- Repeat the hot wash/cold rinse and check each hot wash about halfway through to look for suds. If there are any at all, keep washing. It took 7 cycles to strip my dipes!<br><br>
Secondly, use much less detergent from now on. Stop using the free and clear, or anything that's natural soap based because it builds up fast on clothes and diapers. Moms on the cloth diapering board like Tide a lot, also Cheer, Arm and Hammer, and the CostCo generic detergent. Use no more than 1/4 cup of powdered detergent in the washes. Some moms use only 2 T. Rinse well to make sure it all comes out.<br><br>
Here's my diaper washing routine. I have hard water so I add Calgon to every wash cycle but perhaps you won't have to once you get those dipes stripped. I would suggest adding it for 2-3 more wash cycles after the stripping just to make sure you got all the detergent out.<br><br>
-- Set on cold presoak, add detergent and dipes, as well as some tea tree oil if it's a particularly smelly load. Let soak for at least 30 minutes.<br>
-- Set to prewash with soak water still in the machine. Prewash will agitate and then spin out (no rinsing though).<br>
-- Set to HOT wash/cold rinse. Add Calgon to hot wash water, let cycle finish and diapers are done!<br><br>
2) for the itchy skin-- could you possibly have eczema or dandruff? I have eczema on my scalp which most of the time is just an annoying itch. I know hard water makes it worse. I use Head and Shoulders in the dark blue bottle about 2x a week and it solves the problem for me. I've also seen showerheads that will filter out chlorine but if you have a water softener already I wonder why you would still be having this problem.<br><br>
Good luck! :)<br><br>
Darshani

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">2) My scalp is so itchy...and flaky-yuk! I really think it is because it is hard to rinse the shampoo and it dries and causes irritation. I have long hair and washing it is a chore now! But then not washing it is no fun either-itch itch!</td>
</tr></table></div>
I have to wonder if its not the waster softner. We have one and ever since we moved here and started using this water my hair is dry, my scalp is one giant flake. My dd's hair is also turning dry. I really have to think its because of the salt in the water softner for us. I really hate soft water, IMO its usless.

·
Premium Member
42,757 Posts
I agree about the possibility of a detergent allergy. I am allergic to several kinds of detergents and fabric softners. They are awful IME.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts