Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two varieties of spinach, some leaf lettuce, and a whole lot of romaine lettuce growing. The leaf lettuce is super slow, but the romaine is looking bee-utiful and the spinach is getting nice and thick.

I'm doing a SFG, and I've used the idea of, for instance, planting 5 romaine in one square -- one in the middle and one in each corner -- and you harvest the 4 corners completely at some point (when still young), leaving the central one to grow full-size and all season.

I know that you can continually harvest leaves off spinach and lettuce plants. I'm wondering - how big do they have to be before you can safely start removing some leaves.

None of my plants are *quite* big enough for me to completely pull them up and eat, yet. But I'm thinking some *might* be big enough for me to start taking a few leaves here and there. But I'm not *sure* heh... Any tips?

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
I pick leaves off of my lettuces pretty early. If you do a bit off the four on the corners you should be fine. I've noticed that if I pull a little much they might wilt some, but bounce back right away.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
I use a knife to cut them off.

spinach you can cut when the leaves are 1 1/2-2" high. I leave mine longer so we get more.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
spinach you can cut when the leaves are 1 1/2-2" high. I leave mine longer so we get more.
Do you mean cutting off the whole spinach plant, or just a few leaves?

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
can i get in on this convo, too? i am new at these things. i don't have spinach, but i have romaine that bolted some when i went away last week.
what will happen to them, now? i picked the highest bolted parts. will they still grow? or do i have to plant new ones?

thanks, OP, for bringing this up! i'm such a newbie, too.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tankgirl73 View Post
Do you mean cutting off the whole spinach plant, or just a few leaves?
I cut the spinach down to about 1-1/2" left. It doesn't come back quite the same as lettuce does, but if you leave a couple of the smaller baby spinach leaves there it will. spinach grows so fast here that I'll plant seeds through out the season too if it doesn't come back. It takes about 3 weeks to have full spinach.

Quote:
what will happen to them, now? i picked the highest bolted parts. will they still grow? or do i have to plant new ones?
Like a pp said they'll most likely be bitter but try it & see. Even cutting lettuce down the max I ever get is 3 cuts & then it's bitter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.