Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm talking just over a year. ds has been with us through fostering basically since birth, but the adoption wasn't finalized until recently. He's now 15 months.

I'm really almost entirely sure he wouldn't take to it or be at all interested or able (I've posted about my doubts and impressions in this regard elsewhere on this forum), but the other day while he was nuzzling into my chest and was comfort sucking a pacifier after we bottlenursed, I felt the instinct to at least offer my breast for comfort "nursing."

As I suspected, he pursed his lips and turned his head away, like, "Mom, why are you putting that in my face?" I had dw try it and he did the same to her. I realized also that even though we snuggle him close when bottlenursing him, he prefers to be turned slighly outward so he can see what is going in the big, wide world. Not to mention that the bottle gets in the way. He doesn't turn quite as far toward my chest as a bf baby would. But I was just wondering, just thought maybe it would be worth trying, if I could offer formula to him through the supplemental nurser. He takes a lot of comfort in his formula, often rejecting bottles of water in favor of the yicky formula flavor. So if he got the idea he could get his formula through breastfeeding...??

Is this crazy? And aren't we a day late and a dollar short on this one?

Oh, and if you think its worth trying, does anyone have a Lactaid (or SNS) they are done with that I could purchase. I don't think I'd be able to afford new right at this moment, especially just for trying something that I'm really not sure will work.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hi. I'm not sure an SNS (which works off gravity and tends to have a high flow rate if you're not careful) would work for comfort nursing. Maybe someone more experienced with SNS can chime in.

Whether or not you want to give it a go, just wanted to say how sweet that image of your baby cuddling in your arms with his binky is. He sounds totally yummy and very well attached to you. Way to go, mamas! And I also wanted to say that my bio kid, who loved nursing, was also frustrated at 15 months that he could not nurse "take out" so he could watch the world and play at the same time. He was constantly trying to turn his head (or get into yoga positions like down dog) while nursing, and it HURT. I'm trying to imagine throwing a tube and formula into that (I tried Lact-Aids with my daughter), and the scene I'm picturing is a little humorous, a little messy. Ha!!

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by T. Elena
I'm trying to imagine throwing a tube and formula into that (I tried Lact-Aids with my daughter), and the scene I'm picturing is a little humorous, a little messy. Ha!!

Good luck!!!
Yeah, I suggest covering your couch or rocker with an old bed sheet. I found nursing with a sns meant formula dripping everywhere!

·
Registered
796 Posts
Theres a learning curve with the lact-aid and the SNS.. but it doesn't have to mean leaking milk everywhere and it is a HUGE help with adoptive breastfeeding. I'm currently still breastfeeding my now almost 15 month old and it all started with a couple months on the supplementors. Lots of women successfully breastfeed older babes. If you want to use the supplementor a great tip is to put the tube from the supplementor next to the bottle nipple when bottle feeding. You can then get the babe used to it and it helps start the transition to breast. Then in small steps you can start moving babe closer to breast at every feeding, put bottle nipple with supplementor tube over your nipple, to breastfeeding. It may take a while, but in my opinion - it is so worth it.. even a teaspoon of breastmilk is beneficial - and the bonding and comfort that occurs is priceless.
~Shannon

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback and information, both the PMs and the posts here. I haven't decided yet if we'll give it a shot. It may depend on whether I can get my hands on a Lactaid or SNS. I'll let you know. Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts