Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am tentatively thinking of trying to modify my Patapum to make it more toddler friendly. I desperately need a taller carrier for my extremely tall 20 month old. He almost flipped out of it a couple days ago when he leaned back. The back of the carrier only comes up to about his mid back, and it is getting a little dangerous to have him in there if he is getting wiggly.

I am thinking of cutting the carrier back in half and adding some length with some heavy canvas. I have some sewing experience and in theory, I think it would work, but I am so scared to completely ruin it, or make it dangerous to use. I have been checking out tall carriers online, and there is no way on earth that I can afford a new one. I would also like to sew a panel to the back to make it nicer looking too. Right now it is just plain boring black.

Tell me I am not crazy for even thinking of doing this...

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
I don't think it's crazy! I just think you should be really sure to get a very strong thread and do lots of extra stitching (triple, maybe). If there is any weakness in the sewing, it's not like it's going to burst all at once with your toddler crashing to the floor - you'll see stitches popping before it gets that bad!

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Limabean1975 View Post
I don't think it's crazy! I just think you should be really sure to get a very strong thread and do lots of extra stitching (triple, maybe). If there is any weakness in the sewing, it's not like it's going to burst all at once with your toddler crashing to the floor - you'll see stitches popping before it gets that bad!
That was what I was thinking, but I was afraid someone was going to say the carrier police would come after us. I think I may try it out this weekend.

I would also like a larger sleeping hood that is permanently attached. I have never taken this one off on purpose, but it has unsnapped at very inconvenient times occasionally. Hmmmm... maybe I could add a pretty applique to the hood too!

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Before you know it, you'll be starting your own specialty/custom carrier business.

That would be fun!

I will take before/during/after pics if I do it and post them here.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
if you're not going to use the snap-on hood anymore, then i think it would not only be easier but also more structurally sound if you add the canvas at the top of the carrier rather than cutting it in half. that way, too, if it doesn't come out right you're carrier isn't totally ruined. and i think a panel is a great idea - not only will it jazz it up, but it'll hide the line where the old canvas meets the new. or, if you prefer, you could sew a slip cover (or two or three
) to go over it instead - that would completely cover your sewing job, and you could leave a slit in the top of the slipcover for the hood you attach to come out of.

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pixiepunk View Post
if you're not going to use the snap-on hood anymore, then i think it would not only be easier but also more structurally sound if you add the canvas at the top of the carrier rather than cutting it in half. that way, too, if it doesn't come out right you're carrier isn't totally ruined. and i think a panel is a great idea - not only will it jazz it up, but it'll hide the line where the old canvas meets the new. or, if you prefer, you could sew a slip cover (or two or three
) to go over it instead - that would completely cover your sewing job, and you could leave a slit in the top of the slipcover for the hood you attach to come out of.
I can't quite picture what you mean here. I would love to just add fabric to the top of the carrier, but I need the straps to be attached as well. I need the actual body of the carrier to be higher, but the straps need to be attached to the top in order for it to give support to DS's back. I would feel more comfortable adding a panel to the middle of the body of the carrier than I would taking the straps off and re-attaching them to the new fabric that I would put on. Is this what you mean?

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
i envision it as looking something like the top of the Kozy or babyhawk - like an extended head rest, with many layers of canvas or something else in it so it's fairly stiff. if you're going to attach a sleeping hood, it only needs to be enough additional fabric to bring the carrier body up to about his shoulders.

i have a Patapum, and i was just looking at it, and my concern with chopping it in half and attaching the shoulder straps at what would then be higher up on your back is that there is a large section of unpadded shoulder strap - and if that's attached several inches higher up on your back, it may end up that the part that touches your shoulder is largely unpadded. does that make sense?

have you tried posting about a trade over at TBW? there might be someone there who's got a Toddler sized Patapum that they find too big for their LO and might be willing to trade you. or you might be able to sell yours and buy a used toddler sized one for about the same amount (or maybe add in like $10-$15 for the toddler one, depending on its condition). or someone might have a different type of SSC with a longer body they'd be willing to trade or do a partial-trade for. or i don't know if you'd consider a longer-bodied MT, but used values on Kozys and Toddlerhawks are comparable to that of a used baby patapum.

I'd just hate for you to ruin your chance for any trade or sale value and be stuck without a carrier, so i'm probably being overly cautious

·
Registered
248 Posts
Quote:

No, not tripple stitch (where the needle goes in and out of the same hole 3 times). This causes a larger hole to form...making perferations like postage stamps! Instead, make 2-3 rows of stiches, 1/8" to 1/4" apart.

Or better yet, make a whole new carrier. It really isn't that hard to do, and you already have a carrier to base your measurements on. You can find lots of tips and help on TBW.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.