Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called the manufacturer yesterday asking for a sample to try on my dipes. I told him I liked it with older DD but eventually she had some sensitivity to it and I wanted to try it out a little first on DD#2 before I buy a big ol' bottle of it.
He asked about the rash and was surprised to hear she had a reaction because he said Sportswash/sensiclean is one of the most hypo-allergenic detergents around, and told me to read this on thier site.

What does everyone think? It still dosen't explain why her rash improved once I switched detergents though.

I really wanna like it again. With the water we have it's about the only thing out there that dosen't cause repelling on my pockets!

http://www.atsko.com/washingclothdiapers.html

· Registered
2,821 Posts
Sounds like a bunch of marketing mumbo-jumbo to me.

Quote:
If a Doctor's diagnosis is staff infection or similar
Anybody who is writing about bacterial exposure and doesn't know that the infection is a shaph infection instantly loses credibility with me.

I just couldn't read any more. But I do have to wonder. . .if Sensiclean/Sportwash is supposed to be so great, why the recommendation to wetpail with bleach?

My personal opinion is that they have no idea what they are talking about and instead are spewing their BS just to attract CDers.

· Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really.
I took it the opposiite way in that they know that a lot of people use in for cd's and probably have heard complaints about sensitivity and are trying to show that it may not be the detergent causing the problem ( if you read all the way through it states something like " if it rinses out completley them you can't have a reaction to something that isn't there..." all the way at the bottom of the page).
Maybe some other detergents that cause build up like they are referring to coat the baby's skin and prevent more bacteria invasion or something. I don't know.
It didn't sound like marketing at all to me though The link was really hard to find even after he told me to look for it. If it were marketing I would have made it WAY more obvios.

· Registered
2,184 Posts
That was an interesting read. Maybe your dd's rash went away because the other detergent you switched to had some additional chemicals in it that help to kill the bacteria without 212 degree water or chlorine?

Interesting read, and food for thought. But I've always been of the impression that whatever is in one's own poo cannot hurt you, since there are no bacteria in your poo that didn't come from your own body. That could be completely wrong, though, faulty logic? Not sure. Interested to see what others have to say.

I wasn't put off by the misspelling of staph infection, since they have the correct spelling of the complete organism at the beginning of the article.

· Registered
2,821 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by caligirl
Really.
I took it the opposiite way in that they know that a lot of people use in for cd's and probably have heard complaints about sensitivity and are trying to show that it may not be the detergent causing the problem ( if you read all the way through it states something like " if it rinses out completley them you can't have a reaction to something that isn't there..." all the way at the bottom of the page).
Maybe some other detergents that cause build up like they are referring to coat the baby's skin and prevent more bacteria invasion or something. I don't know.
It didn't sound like marketing at all to me though The link was really hard to find even after he told me to look for it. If it were marketing I would have made it WAY more obvios.
I understand what you're saying and I'm not trying to argue (honest!) it's just that I have little faith in big corporations being honest about their products.

The reason I say it's marketing-speak is because there are a lot of incorrect statements in there. It doesn't have to be on the main page or obvious to be marketing -- if it gets you to consider their product, it's marketing by its very definition.

But in any case, I'm not convinced that Sportwash rinses clean. Sure, they claim it does, but I do not believe it. Just my personal experience using the stuff. My dipes always came out smelling just like the detergent, that same chemical smell. If it rinses so clean, why is the smell left behind? I haven't had that problem with Charlie's Soap, for the record.

In any case, I liked how they blamed every other source of possible irritation. While all those things they listed can be irritants, I believe their detergent can also.

· Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazydiamond
In any case, I liked how they blamed every other source of possible irritation. While all those things they listed can be irritants, I believe their detergent can also.

probably true.
And,yes, my dipes have come out smelling just like the sportswash smell in the bottle too, so I wonder.

I'd be interested in trying Charlies soap and Allens too but er are really tight on $$ and I can't go around buying all of them. I wonder if they have samples....

· Registered
3,433 Posts
Quote:
Anybody who is writing about bacterial exposure and doesn't know that the infection is a shaph infection instantly loses credibility with me.
I completely agree, misspelling 'staph infection' does make me question the writer.

I do understand that there are mamas who have had problems with their diapers using Sportwash. I don't agree that it is necessarily the Sportwash itself that is the problem, it could be what it *isn't* doing that is the problem for example. And correct me if I am wrong, but the OP in the second link listed symptoms that were identified as being the same as Sportwash burns, yet did not include Sportwash in her diaperwashing routine? I am confused.

I worked for a major consumer goods company for years. I ran multiple double-blind studies that looked at consumer reported symptoms and whether they were related to our products. As a result of this experience, I am skeptical of consumers who 'know' what caused the problem as well as of corporate motives. Yet I understand that as mamas we want what is best for our children, and that corporations want to protect their business interest. So I am not surprised at all that Atsko is defending themselves against negative claims, an action I would expect them to take if the claims do not match what they believe about their product. And I would expect mamas to stop using the product they believe caused harm to their babies.

· Registered
2,184 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NicknJulesMom
You may want to check out these two threads, especially the last one.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=443579
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=432779
After reading these, I'm thinking the article posted by the OP was written in response to customer complaints, so they would have a place to refer people regarding this issue. Turns me off.

I feel bad for those babies that have been hurt.

And I agree that sportswash does leave a smell. I have received diapers that were washed with it & there is a strong (to my nose) smell on them. I've never used it. Have used Charlie's Soap for about a year now (5 mos of CDing). The only problem I've had in that time was minor stink one time when I 1) waited too long to wash and 2) the load of dipes was too big. (oops) So I'm quite happy. No remaining detergent scent ever.

· Registered
36 Posts
That was an interesting, if not confusing article. The last portion regarding the Sportswash seemed plausible but I don't really understanding where the pertinance of Staph comes into play in regards to diaper rash. I'm not an expert but I don't really think the majority of rashes are causes by staph....isn't it primarily a contact dermatitis from the urine/poo. Or possibly a yeast component. I guess I don't really understand what the writer was trying to imply by the entire beginning of that article? That a stinky diaper is caused by bacteria? Duh.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.