Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My doctor has me weaning off of Zoloft because It wasnt helping me and now I am taking Lexapro, 10ml. Before I was pregnant I had taken celxa and before that Lexapro and had noticed that was when I felt great. Has anyone noticed any side effects to your breastmilk or to your baby? Thanks, Sterling mama to son 02-17-04

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm taking Wellbutrin and was told by my midwife that I could nurse while on it. Your MW should be able to tell you, and should not put you on a medicine without asking you that question. JMHO. Is Lexapro an SSRI?

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
no help with the bm but i'm on lexapro now & it has completely saved my sanity! also 10 mg. i had full blown anxiety hit about 1 year after dd was born. i think the postpartum period helped keep it at bay & then whooosh! the lexapro has been great!!!

i'm sure someone here knows the answers for you! good luck!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,
I know the doctor wouldnt put me on something if it was going to harm my breastmilk or him so I guess its just me being paranoid. I started getting this way since I have been put on meds, this feeling of am I making sure that I am doing right by my son. Sterling

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I switched from Celexa to Lexapro about two months ago and have been very happy on it. My sex drive was being suppressed by the Celexa, even though I had been fine on it for almost five years. FWIW my psychiatrist, ob, and daughter's ped all assured me it was safe to take while breastfeeding! Good luck to you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi there,
I have been on Lexapro for almost 1 year now. I suffered from severe postpartum depression that left me feeling suicidal at this time last year. My doctor had me on Celexa which did nothing to help me. My panic attacks seemed to be getting worse. I was absolutely desperate. I heard about Lexapro and asked him to switch me to it, which he did, but only to 10mg. I continued to suffer for about another month, found a new doctor, and my dosage was increased to 20 mg. It pulled me out of that black hell I was living in very quickly, and I felt like myself again about 3 weeks after my increase in dosage. I think it's a great drung, but I'm not so sure I would breastfeed with it. Check otu lexapro.com. You might fnd an answer.

Although I wanted to breastfeed my child for at least 1 year, I switched to formula in order to take antidepressants (which was Celexa initially) and sleeping medication (which I no longer need). I looked at it this way: because I was so severely ill either my son had to go on formula, or he may possibly not had a mother any longer

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jenniann
Although I wanted to breastfeed my child for at least 1 year, I switched to formula in order to take antidepressants (which was Celexa initially) and sleeping medication (which I no longer need). I looked at it this way: because I was so severely ill either my son had to go on formula, or he may possibly not had a mother any longer
Just to clarify, both Celexa and Lexapro (in nomal doses) are sometimes considered safe during pregnancy and while breastfeeding. Each individual's doctor must weight the risks and benefits in their particular situation. Of course, the sleeping medication you were taking probably wasn't. Sounds like you made the right choice in your circumstances.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.