Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
attended a birth for a mom who had a piercing through the clitoral hood? Or had one themselves? Is it okay to leave it in, and any chance of trouble with it?
I have a new client with a piercing and it's the first time I've had a pregnant client with such a piercing. She has one child already, but the piercing is new since then.
Wondering if anyone has any experience to share!

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
have had gals take it out for labor-- just depends - my concern was if I had to do something for shoulders- I am just clumsy enough to snag the dang thing- and add a bit more complexity --
as long as it isn't irritated and looks healthy thats how it goes-- but even ear or belly piercings if they look inflamed I will comment and find out what a gal is doing for that- and make suggestions- different metal/ rule out nickel sensitivity, not completely healed- used things in keeping with what they will use- over the counter abx cream or dilute lavender oil- or chamomile tea bags-- is it getting snagged on something all the time that makes the inflammation?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I knowsomeone who had one and had a baby vaginally. That was a while ago. She left it in, I beleive, though I have absolutely zero idea if it's recommended or not. You could always go to a piercer and ask.

Namaste, Tara
mama to Doodle (7), Butterfly (2), and Rythm (due at home 1/06)

·
Registered
520 Posts
We had a mom with a "hood" piercing not long ago. No big deal, though for me personally, I think I would hit the ceiling if it snagged on something. Yikes. It was never an issue in pushing or otherwise for that mom.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll have to ask this mom how she feels about keeping it or taking it out, too, but I think I'll just leave it up to her, and promise to keep my hands clear if at all possible.
I must admit to some squeamishness here - part of brain keeps repeating "Why would you let someone near that with a NEEDLE!" I'm trying to get over it!

·
Registered
12,040 Posts
In my doula training class that subject came up and my trainer reccomended telling your client to take it out. Usually piercings don't close up right away, so taking it out for a day isn't going to hurt. I would hate to see it be torn out or scrape the baby in any way. But if your client is against taking it out then there is nothing you can do really.

·
Registered
12,040 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by doctorjen
I must admit to some squeamishness here - part of brain keeps repeating "Why would you let someone near that with a NEEDLE!" I'm trying to get over it!
I'm crossing my legs very tightly just thinking about that.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I have a hood piercing (TMI for you??)

It hurt worse getting it than pushing my son out! But the pain was over sooner. And it can be fun.

I'm a bit concerned about it when I have my next one. I couldn't even find my clit for a month after ds was born. How would I put the piercing back in if I took it out for pushing? But also, what would happen to it in all that mess of hamburger vulva like I had last time??

These are the questions that occupy my mind. *sigh*

·
Registered
59 Posts
hi,

i'm one of the crazy ones with a hood pierce and i remember well the panic i had getting it out when i was in labour with my ds.....everytime i tried....standing up in the pool in my living room...i got another contraction and had to let it go!!

never got it out....birthed my boy without probs in the pool....i did tear but nowhere near the pierce!
thankfully!

i'm a homebirth midwife also and never encountered a client with a similar issue so very limited experience!!

in sisterhood (no pun intended!!)
debs xx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.