Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 30 weeks along and am thinking of switching to a MW because I'm not feeling comfortable with my doctor or a hospital setting. BUT I had a stillborn 6 years ago and this pregnancy was a twin pregnancy until 13 weeks along when we lost the twin, so I may be considered high risk. Also my last son was born 11 days early. Do you think I still have a chance at getting a midwife take me? I would really love to have the experience and not have all the interferanace that a hospital offers.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I was comanaged by a CNM and MD for preeclampsia/HELLP syndrome five years ago. I would have been CNM care this time (despite my wretched OB history) except for Kell isoimmunization, which made them too nervous. So I'd try for it.

Was the reason for your stillbirth identified? That could make a difference; most of hte time the reason is either unknown or unlikely to repeat, but sometimes a "poor OB history" can make you more high-risk.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
That does make it trickier. In order to find an out-of-hospital provider, you may need to be more willing to be tested than you otherwise would, in order to soothe their fears, you know?

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
The only way to find out is to CALL!!

In canada, the health system is different, so I'm not sure exactly what /who you need to call, but just go ahead and do it!!

I personally had a midwife/homebirth even though i am considered VERY high-risk (diabetes, fertility drugs, thyroid problem, obese, overdue, etc)

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I agree about calling. In my area, midwives will absolutely comanage women who are "high-risk", and most don't consider a history of losses to be high-risk anyway.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
well-- sure I would consider working for a woman like you-- I would want to have a copy of your current labs and the rest of the records and interview and ASAP because you are moving right along-- some places don't allow mws to take clients after 32 weeks without a medical consult... get your copies and start making your calls
take care

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.